Information on a planning applications
All planning applications, associated plans and documents are available to view on the planning register. If you don’t have access to a computer, you can use the public computers at Customer and Local Services, La Motte Street (opening times are 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday excluding bank holidays).
We advertise all planning applications on:
We won’t re-advertise the application if the applicant makes minor changes to their proposed scheme during the assessment process. However, we’ll include all new documents and plans on the planning register.
You can register to receive notifications for any changes published to the planning register relating to an application, local area or Parish.
For all applications we publish:
- site where work is being proposed
- description of work
- plans, drawings and supporting documents
- name of the applicant and agent
- final decision
- name of the planning case officer
- relevant Island Plan constraints
- dates validated, advertised, end publicity, site visited, Committee meeting, decision, appeal lodged
Make a comment on an application
You should submit your comments within 21 days of the day the application was published by site notice or in the gazette. The publication expiry dates are displayed on the planning register. We’ll consider comments received after the 21 day deadline if the application hasn’t already been determined.
You can object to the application, support it or simply comment on the application. If you submit a comment we’ll acknowledge receipt of your comments within two working days.
Comments need to be made in writing. You can comment
- on the planning register
- by email
- by letter
We’ll publish your name and comments to the planning register. We won’t publish your signature, telephone number or email address. We’ll also blank out the location of your home, any other information that links you to a specific property or any information of a personal nature.
Read more about how the department handles your information.
We’ll take your comments into account when assessing the application but we won’t respond to any individual queries.
We’ll let you know if the application is approved or refused on the same day we inform the applicant.
If the application is to be determined at a public meeting, we’ll let you know at least five working days before the meeting. You’re welcome to attend the meeting and you may be able to speak for up to five minutes if you wish.
If we approve the application, the decision won’t take effect for 28 days to allow you time to make an appeal if you wish to do so.
Comments we can’t accept
Comments that contain the type of information listed below can’t be considered when assessing a planning application.
We can’t take into account:
- loss of private views
- effects on property values
- personal disagreements
- boundary disputes, covenants or other private property restrictions
We reserve the right not to accept comments containing:
- statements relating to enforcement or compliance matters
- excessive personal information
- sensitive personal information
- opinions not related to the planning application
- defamatory or libelous allegations or statements
Comments we can accept
We can only consider planning matters when dealing with an application, such as:
- planning policies
- impact on the character of the area
- the design and character of a proposed building
- potential for noise and disturbance
- potential for significant loss of light and overbearing impact
- potential for loss of privacy
- traffic generation and road safety
- car parking