Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Signs and advertisements (permissions)

​Planning Permission

What is the definition of an advertisement?

The law defines it as:  "Any word, letter, model, sign, placard, board, notice, device or representation, whether illuminated or not, in the nature of and employed wholly or in part for the purposes of advertisement, announcement or direction, and includes any similar structure used or adapted for use for the display of advertisements."

Therefore, advertisement includes:

  • all shop signs
  • all business signs 
  • directional signs
  • sandwich boards
  • notices
  • flags (but not National flags)
  • window stickers
  • blinds
  • canopies

The main reason behind the need to gain permission to put up a sign is to ensure that advertising does not detract from the appearance of the environment and does not cause a traffic hazard.

What needs consent?

In certain circumstances advertisement consent is not required. However the regulations are complex and you may need to contact us for advice on interpreting them.  The regulations are set out in the Planning and Building (Display of Advertisements) (Jersey) Order 2006.

Planning and Building (Display of Advertisements) (Jersey) Order 2006 on Jersey Legal Information Board website

Advertisements which always need consent include:

  • illuminated signs
  • advanced directional signs
  • projecting signs
  • any sign that will be fixed or placed on a Listed Building or Place or a Potential Listed Building or Place

Further advice about advertisement consent

If you are still unsure if you require consent you may wish to take advantage of our drop-in service – this will allow you to discuss your proposal with our duty planning officer.

The service is free of charge and may save you time and expense. You should bring as much information with you as possible; for example photographs of the site where you want to display the sign and pictures of what the sign will look like, to include size, materials and dimensions.

In all cases, formal decisions are subject to the full planning process, which may include public and statutory consultation. Consequently, the final decision on any planning matter may not reflect the initial advice given.  Any purchaser and/or vendor of a property transaction should not rely upon any such informal advice.

If an advert requires consent, it is illegal to display it until an application has been approved by the Minister for the Environment. To display any advert without this permission is an offence under the Planning and Building (Jersey) Law 2002 and renders the property owner liable to prosecution.

P3 advertisement display application form

Building permission

You do not require building permission to display an advertisement.​
Back to top
rating button