Benefits of sprinklers in the home
Sprinklers provide a high level of protection from the risk of dying in a fire. They are particularly suitable for older people and those who have an impairment, injury or difficulty moving around.
It's important to have a smoke alarm as well as a sprinkler system. A smoke alarm will alert you to slow-burning, smoke-generating fires which may not produce enough heat to trigger a sprinkler.
The main benefits of sprinklers are:
- they can be fitted in as many rooms as you like
- they're individually heat-activated, so they don't all go off at once
- they need high temperatures to trigger them so don't go off accidentally
- they operate automatically, whether you’re at home or not
- they sound an alarm to alert you as well as tackling the fire
Watch the video 'Sprinklers - dispelling the myths' on YouTube