Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

VAT on goods bought in the UK

​VAT refunds

Where VAT is applied to your UK purchase, you may want to contact the seller before you make a payment. They may remove or zero-rate the tax, but they are not obliged to.

We cannot process VAT refunds on goods bought in the UK.

You can find out more about VAT refunds on GOV.UK.

VAT for consumers on GOV.UK

You will be charged GST on the total cost (including freight) of goods bought in the UK when it is more than £135.

Goods delivered from the UK

You can buy goods from the UK without paying VAT if you're:

  • buying goods from a UK business registered for VAT and having them sent to your Jersey address
  • buying goods from the UK via the internet or mail order

GOV.UK explains how UK businesses registered for VAT can export goods by post, free of VAT. It also confirms that Jersey is outside the VAT area.

A guide for international post users on GOV.UK

VAT Notice 703: export ​of goods from the UK on GOV.UK

Goods brought to Jersey in your luggage

You can reclaim VAT on goods you’ve brought to Jersey in your luggage if the seller has joined the Retail Export Scheme.

The HMRC website explains:

  • how retailers can refund VAT on sales made to eligible people
  • how to make a purchase under the VAT Retail Export Scheme
  • how to complete the relevant form, VAT Form 704

VAT 704 - VAT Retail Export Scheme on GOV.UK

Goods or services bought for your business

You may be able to reclaim VAT on goods or services related to your business. GOV.UK explains how refunds of VAT may be made.

If you make a claim, it must be supported by a 'Certificate of Status' to prove that a business is based in Jersey. ​If you need a certificate, email the Taxes Office with the subject heading 'Certificate of Status' and include your business tax reference.

Email Taxes Office

VAT: refunds for non-EU businesses visiting the UK on GOV.UK

Back to top
rating button