Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Applying for or renewing a driving licence

​​​How to apply for or renew a driving licence

You must have a valid driving licence to drive in Jersey.

There are different categories of licences depending on the vehicle you drive. Find the list of driving licence categories.

If this is your first licence, you must first:

You can renew or replace your Jersey driving licence on Comité des Connétables.

You can also find application forms at your parish hall.

Most driving licences are valid for 10 years. This may be less if you have a certain catergory on your licence.

A provisional licence is valid for 6 months. If you have not tried to pass the theory test within 6 months, your parish’s Connétable may refuse to issue another licence for 6 months.

If you move to Jersey and hold a licence from another country, you may be able to exchange it for a Jersey licence. Find further details on moving to Jersey with a foreign licence.

Licence fees

It costs £70 to apply, renew or replace your driving licence.

A provisional licence costs £30.

New medical standards for driving licences

From 5 October 2024, the medical standards and medical certificate requirements for Jersey driving licences change.​

You’ll need to meet higher medical standards to have a certain category on your licence.​

Find more information on medical standards for driving licences​.​

Moving to Jersey with a foreign driving licence

If you have a foreign driving licence and become a permanent Jersey resident or move here for more than 12 months, you must get a Jersey driving licence as soon as you move to the Island. 

You can exchange your foreign licence for a Jersey licence if it’s issued from one the countries listed below. Not all licence categories are exchangeable.

If you hold a licence from a country that is not listed, you must pass the theory and practical driving tests in Jersey to receive a Jersey driving licence.

You can only exchange full valid driving licences. You cannot exchange provisional licences.

Countries from which you can exchange your driving licence
​​Belgium​British Columbia​British Virgin Islands​​Bulgaria​Canada
​Cayman Islands
​Czech Republic
Falkland Islands
​Faroe Islands
​Hong Kong
Isle of Man
North Macedonia
​New Zealand
​South Africa
​​South Korea
​​United Arab Emirates (UAE)
United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland

Visiting Jersey and driving

You can drive as a visitor if you have a valid driving licence from another country for the category of vehicle you’re driving on Jersey roads. You should carry your licence when driving on the Island.

If you’re planning to become a Jersey resident or stay for more than 12 months, you need to get a Jersey licence.

Driving abroad

If you're a Jersey resident planning to drive abroad, you may need an International Driving Permit (IDP) for certain countries. You’ll need to carry your Jersey driving licence and the IDP when driving abroad.

Find more information and apply on International Driving Permit on Comité des Connétables.

Leaving Jersey

If you’re leaving Jersey you should check the law on driving licences of the country you’re moving to. You may not be able to exchange your Jersey driving licence.​

Back to top
rating button