Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Applying for or renewing a driving licence

​​How to apply for or renew a driving licence

You must have a valid driving licence to drive in Jersey. There are different categories of licences depending on the vehicle you drive.

Driver licence vehicle categories, specifications and age restrictions

If you move to Jersey and hold a licence from another country, you may be able to exchange it for a Jersey licence. Find further details on moving to Jersey with a foreign licence.

Before you can apply for your first driving licence you must learn to drive.

You can apply for a Jersey provisional driving licence​.

You can also apply to renew or replace your Jersey driving licence on Comité des Connétables

Application forms are also available at your parish hall.

Driving licences are valid for 10 years. This may be less if you hold a driving licence with a group 2 categories. Find further details on new medical standards for driving licences.

A provisional licence is valid for 6 months. If you have not tried to pass the theory test within 6 months, your parish’s Connétable may refuse to issue another licence for 6 months.

Licence fees

It costs £70 to apply, renew or replace your driving licence.

A provisional licence costs £30.

Moving to Jersey with a foreign driving licence

If you have a foreign driving licence and become a permanent Jersey resident or move here for more than 12 months, you must get a Jersey driving licence as soon as you move to the Island. 

You can exchange your foreign licence for a Jersey licence if it’s issued from one the countries listed below. Not all licence categories are exchangeable.

If you hold a licence from a country that is not listed, you must pass the theory and practical driving tests in Jersey to receive a Jersey driving licence.

You can only exchange full valid driving licences. You cannot exchange provisional licences.

Countries from which you can exchange your driving licence
​​Belgium​British Columbia​British Virgin Islands​​Bulgaria​Canada
​Cayman Islands
​Czech Republic
Falkland Islands
​Faroe Islands
​Hong Kong
Isle of Man
North Macedonia
​New Zealand
​South Africa
​​South Korea
​​United Arab Emirates (UAE)
United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland

Visiting Jersey and driving

You can drive as a visitor if you have a valid driving licence from another country for the category of vehicle you’re driving on Jersey roads. You should carry your licence when driving on the Island.

If you’re planning to become a Jersey resident or stay for more than 12 months, you need to get a Jersey licence.

Driving abroad

If you're a Jersey resident planning to drive abroad, you may need an International Driving Permit (IDP) for certain countries. You’ll need to carry your Jersey driving licence and the IDP when driving abroad.

Find more information and apply on International Driving Permit on Comité des Connétables.

Leaving Jersey

If you’re leaving Jersey you should check the law on driving licences of the country you’re moving to. You may not be able to exchange your Jersey driving licence.

New medical standards for driving licences

In 2024 the law in Jersey around driving with certain medical conditions is changing. The requirements will be similar to UK requirements.

These new medical standards will be in effect if you apply, hold or renew your driving licence.

The standards will allow your parish to:

  • ask applicants or licence holder to undergo a practical driving assessment in addition to or instead of a medical examination
  • to impose conditions on a driving licence, such as further examinations or assessments during the life of your licence
  • limit the period of time your licence is issued for

This applies for those with medical conditions such as:

  • vision impairment
  • epilepsy and seizures
  • diabetes

When completing your medical form the Medical Practitioner will follow the UK guidance issued by Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA). This guidance is subject to change.

Assessing fitness to drive: a guide for medical professionals on GOV.UK

You can find additional guidance on standards of vision for driving cars and motorcycles on GOV.UK and information for drivers with diabetes on GOV.UK.

For further information contact your parish.

New driving licence groups

The changes will introduce 2 new driving licence groups:

  • group 1 for licences categories A1, A, B1, B, B+E, F, H, K and P. These are also known as leisure licences
  • group 2 for licences categories C1, C, D1, D, C1+E, C+E, D1+E and D+E. These are also known as vocational licences and include buses, coaches, minibuses and good vehicles weighting 3.5 tonnes or more

You would usually need to meet higher medical standards to apply or hold a licence with a group 2 category.

If you passed your driving test in Jersey before 1997 you may already have a group 2 categories on your licence as well as category B. This should be detailed on your driving licence.

If you want to keep the group 2 categories on your licence, you’ll need to meet group 2 medical standards. You’ll have to submit a completed GP2 medical form when you next renew your driving licence.

Driver licence vehicle categories, specifications and age restrictions

How long will your licence be valid for

If your driving licence includes a group 1 categories it will still be valid for a maximum of 10 years. 

If your licence includes a group 2 categories it’ll be valid for a maximum of 5 years until you’re aged 65. It’ll be valid for a maximum of 1 year after that.

The validity period of a licence may be limited if recommended by a medical practitioner.

Completing the medical examination

Your medical practitioner, such as your GP, will need to complete the form GP1 for group 1 medicals, or GP2 for group 2 medicals. They may charge you for this service.

Medical forms will be available online or from your parish hall.

If you hold a group 1 licence you’ll only need to complete a medical examination when asked to do so by your parish.

Group 2 licence holders will need to complete a medical examination:

  • when they first apply
  • at the ages of 45, 50, 55, 60 and 65
  • every year when they are aged over 65

You can surrender the category if you no longer want your group 2 category licence. You will not be able to drive vehicles of that category or have to do a medical examination for those categories anymore.

You can reinstate the surrendered category later on without having to do a driving test only if it has been less than 5 years since it was removed.

Back to top
rating button