Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) for motorbikes and mopeds

​​About Compulsory basic training (CBT) for motorbikes and mopeds

Compulsory basic training (CBT) is legally required for anyone wishing to ride a motorcycle or moped on public roads. The CBT course is not an exam. It is a course of training that you are required to complete satisfactorily.

All learner riders who want to ride a moped or a light motorcycle, and who received their provisional licence after 1 September 1997, must complete the compulsory basic training (CBT) course.

If you have been disqualified from riding a heavy motorcycle, you must take a CBT course if you want to renew your licence.

If you are a car driver and your full licence entitles you to ride a 50cc moped, then you can use your car licence to complete the CBT on a moped up to 50cc. You do not need a provisional licence and do not need to display a plate.

The course is specifically designed for novice riders to provide them with the machine handling, road awareness and maintenance skills necessary for safe riding. Previous experience is not necessary.

How to book a course

You can book a course by completing an application form available on the Jersey School of Motorcycling website.

The course takes place at weekends and is run by the Jersey School of Motorcycling.

The current course costs £153.00.

Validity of CBT in the UK or Guernsey in Jersey

If you are riding with a UK (or Guernsey) CBT certificate you are riding illegally. You must take the CBT in Jersey to ride legally.

Taking your theory test before the CBT course

You are encouraged to pass your theory test before the CBT course. You will find that this will help a great deal when you come to do your CBT course.

If you have not passed your theory test before the CBT course, you will be required to sit a reduced theory test as part of the course.

Back to top
rating button