Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Student finance

Submission deadlines

  • You must complete your student finance application (HE1) by 31 December 2023 for courses starting 1 September 2024 to 31 August 2024.

  • You must send your Income Statement (HE2) by 31 March for the academic year you're in.

Student finance and deadlines

The Government of Jersey gives financial help to Jersey resident students studying in:

  • higher education
  • postgraduate professional education
  • 1 year level 3 vocational arts course

You should still apply for student finance even if you do not receive a grant because:

  • you’ll be automatically registered for student’s contributions, also called student credits. This means your contributions will be paid for up to 3 years while you study
  • Student Finance will have your contact details so they can send you relevant job opportunities or useful information

Student credits for people over 18 in full-time education

If you have any questions about financial help for students contact Student Finance.

You can also make an appointment with us using the following online form. Appointments can be over the phone or virtually.

Make an appointment with Student Finance

If you’re considering university but need advice on education, career options or next steps email the Careers Guidance team on

Your eligibility for financial support will depend on your circumstances and the nature of the course you wish to undertake. The information on this page is for your guidance only. You can find further information in the Education (Grants and Allowances) (Jersey) Order 2018 or you can contact Student Finance to discuss your situation.

Deadlines for applications

You can apply from 1 January for courses starting in September of the same year.

You must apply by the 31 December for courses starting between January and June of the following year. Any applications received after 31 December will not be accepted.

You must apply by 31 March for courses starting between July and December the same year. Applications after 31 March can be accepted depending on your circumstances.

What you need to do and when

You only need to apply once to receive student finance for your course. If you need finance for the next academic year you only need to confirm you passed your courses and submit an Income Statement form (HE2).

Find below what new or continuing students and their parents need to do to receive student finance.

Step What you need to do Timescale
1New students complete the online form to apply for student finance (HE1).
You only need to do this the first year you apply.
Between 1 January and 31 December depending on when your course starts. See deadlines for applications above.

Parents complete Income Statement form (HE2). This is sent by Student Finance when we receive your application (HE1).

Online HE2 checklist 

Complete as soon as possible.

New students send their offer letter. You can upload this as a supporting document or using the HE7 sent by Student Finance.

Upload supporting documents

June to August

Continuing students send their end of year academic results.

Upload supporting documents

June to August

Students, parents and schools are told the grant amount they'll receive.

6Students receive their autumn maintenance grant in their bank account.From September
7If continuing students who need funding for the next academic year, parents to complete Income Statement form (HE2).

Sent in January by Student Finance.

You must complete it by 31 March of the following year. To receive your funding earlier you should submit all your information before.

Applying for student finance

You must apply for student finance well before your course starts to make sure you receive your grant for the beginning of term.

Tell us as soon as possible if you decide to take a gap year after you apply. We can delay your application and there will be no penalty. You can only take 1 gap year.

Apply for student finance using the online form below. You must complete an application for each child.

Once we receive and review your application we’ll send you other forms you may need to complete, including Income Statement forms (HE2).

Apply for student finance (HE1)

Income Statement form (HE2)

You and your parents will need to complete a new Income Statement form every academic year. An Income Statement tells us about how much you and your parents earn.

If you’re applying for student finance for the first time we’ll send you the form once we have reviewed your application.

If you already receive student finance we’ll send you the form automatically in January each year.

Upload supporting documents

You can use the following online form if you’re a:

  • continuing university student to upload your university results
  • potential university student to upload your offer letters
  • parent or student to upload additional documents we asked for

Do not use the form to submit queries to Student Finance. If you have any questions, contact Student Finance.

Upload student finance documents

Types of grants and allowances

Student finance grants are made of:

  • tuition fees
  • maintenance grant

Depending on your income you might receive a grant for both parts or only for tuition fees. For more details see how your grant is calculated.

You may also be able to receive an allowance. An allowance is extra financial help if you:

  • have a disability
  • go on a vacation study or placement
  • attend a course interview
  • go on field trips

You can also receive extra funding if you’re studying in London and clinical fields such as medicine, veterinary, dentistry or nursing.

Tuition fees

Grants for you tuition fees help you pay for the costs of your course.

We’ll pay your tuition fees directly to your school in the UK or Jersey when we have received an invoice from them.

If you’re studying outside the UK or Jersey, you’ll need to pay the fees to your school. We’ll then refund you what you’re entitled to receive. Make sure you have provided us with your bank account details.

Maintenance grant

A maintenance grant helps you pay for living expenses such as accommodation, food and books.

We pay the maintenance grant in 3 instalments, directly into the student’s bank account. Make sure you have provided us with your bank account details.

Disabled student allowance

You may be able to receive a disabled student allowance (DSA) if you have a disability.

You can use your DSA to pay for:

  • a non-medical helper
  • other reasonable costs
  • specialist equipment you buy or rent

Tell us on your student finance application form (HE1) if you think you should receive a DSA.

For further support or guidance, contact us.

Vacation study allowance

You can receive a vacation study allowance if you need to go on a trip outside of school term time in relation to your course.

To apply contact Student Finance before your trip.

Interview allowance 

You may be able to receive an allowance to help pay for your travelling costs if you need to go for an interview to get into a course.

You must use the amount you receive to pay for the student’s actual travel costs. You cannot use it for accommodation, meals or an adult travelling with you.

If you’re a looked after child you’ll receive this allowance whatever your income is. It will also include financial help for an adult to travel with you.

To ask for an application form email

Field trips allowance

You may be able to receive an allowance to go on field trips during school term.

To apply contact us before your field trip.

Studying in London

If you study in London you can receive an extra 10% to your maintenance grant to support the higher cost of living in London. This is called the London component.

You cannot receive the London component if you’re studying at a school outside of London but choose to live in London. We’ll decide if your school is classed as being in London.

We’re keeping the London component under review and it may change in the future.

Medicine, veterinary, dentistry or nursing students

You can receive an extra clinical grant if you study in medicine, veterinary, dentistry or nursing science. 

You must have an income of less than £100,000.

For the academic year 2023 to 2024 the clinical grant can be between £1,068 to £1,143. The amount you receive depends on if you’re a dependent or independent student.

Who can receive student finance

To receive student finance you must:

  • be a Jersey resident. See the residency requirements
  • be aged 16 or over on 31 August of the year you start your degree
  • have been offered a place on your chosen course

You usually receive student finance once for a maximum of 3 years. However you could get funding for a second degree if it’s a critical skill course in Jersey. For more information contact us.

The amount you receive depends on if you’re a dependent or independent student.

You're an independent student if you:

  • are aged 25 on or before 31 August in the year you start your degree
  • are married or in a civil partnership 
  • have been living financially independent from your parents for at least 3 years before the start of your degree
  • are a looked after child
  • have a child
  • are a care leaver

If you do not fit the criteria above you're a dependent student. If you’re not sure if you’re a dependent or independent student contact us.

Residency requirements

You’re a resident if you and your parents have been living in Jersey on 31 August before the start of your first academic year for:

  • 5 years or more
  • at least 1 year and have Entitled status

If you live only with 1 parent, we’ll only consider their residential status.

Your residency requirements are the same if you’re an independent student but we do not consider your parent’s residential status.

Residential and employment statuses and what they mean

If you’re a looked after child student or a care leaver you may be able to receive extra financial help. For further information contact us.

Children in care support package

Academic requirements

There are no academic requirements to be eligible for a grant. However, some schools can assess your academic aptitudes before offering you a place or ask for specific entry requirements.

How much you can receive

The tables below are only approximate figures for 2023 to 2024 academic year.

The amount will change depending on if you’re:

  • a dependent student
  • an independent student
  • a dependent student living off-Island

Student Finance will confirm your total amount once we’ve reviewed your application.

Gross income Tuition fees Maintenance grant Total
£0 to £49,999.99£9,250£8,011 to £8,572 £17,261 to £17,822
£50,000 to £59,999.99£9,250£6,409 to £8,572£15,659 to £17,822
£60,000 to £69,999.99£9,250£4,807 to £6,857£14,057 to £16,107
£70,000 to £79,999.99 £9,250£3,204 to £5,143£12,454 to £14,393
£80,000 to £89,999.99£9,250£1,607 to £3,429£10,853 to £12,679

When your income is £90,000 or more you only receive tuition fees and do not receive maintenance grant. You could receive some specific allowances such as a clinical grant.

Contact us to discuss your circumstances and for more details.

You will not receive any student finance if your income is £200,000 or more.

Gross income Tuition fees
£90,000 to £99,999.99£9,250
£100,000 to £109,999.99£9,250
£110,000 to £119,999.99£8,325
£120,000 to £129,999.99£7,400
£130,000 to £139,999.99£6,475
£140,000 to £149,999.99£5,550
£150,000 to £159,999.99£4,625
£160,000 to £169,999.99£3,700
£170,000 to £179,999.99£2,775
£180,000 to £189,999.99£1,850
£190,000 to £199,999.99£925

Distance learning

The maximum grant you can receive for distance learning in 1 academic year is £7,400.

Student's gross income per year (total income before deductions) Percentage of course fees reimbursed
Up to £50,00080%
£50,001 to £55,00060%
£55,001 to £60,00040%
£60,001 to £65,00020%
£65,001 and more0%

How grants are calculated

The amount of student finance you receive depends on your income. In this we take into consideration the income and assets of:

  • the student
  • the student's parents
  • other people the student lives with

What we consider your income depends on if you’re an independent or a dependent student.

We calculate the amount your grant every academic year. So you’ll need to submit an Income Statement every year.

You will not receive student finance is the total amount of income and assets is more than £500,000.

In your income we also consider assets such as:

  • properties, excluding your main home
  • stocks, shares or bonds
  • goodwill of a business
  • tangible or moveable assets

We’ll calculate your grants using gross income. This is the total income received before any deductions are made.

Find further details on what we consider your income in the Education (Grants and Allowances) (Jersey) Order 2018.

Independent students

If you’re an independent student, your income is the total of your:

  • gross income for the calendar year in which the academic year starts. 
  • gross income for your spouse, civil partner or a partner living with you

If you married, entered a civil partnership or began living with the person during the year, we’ll only consider a proportion of that person's income.

Dependent students

We consider the income for the calendar year before the start of the academic year you’re applying for. For example, we’ll look at income from 2023 for the 2024 academic year.

What we consider your income depends on who you live with.

If you live with:

  • both your parents, we’ll look at the total income of both your parents
  • 1 parent and their partner, we’ll look at either the total income of:
    • the parent you live with and their partner
    • both your parents and not their partner, only if both parents have agreed
  • 1 parent, we’ll look at the total income of:
    • the parent you live with only if your other parent died or cannot be contacted or located
    • both your parents (all other students)

You will not receive any grants for tuition fees or maintenance if your parents do not want to tell us their income or miss the deadline to complete the Income Statement. You’ll still be able to receive a disabled student allowance (DSA).

Courses that are funded

You can apply for student finance for full or part-time study.

You can study in:

  • Jersey
  • the UK
  • other countries around the world

If you study abroad, you’ll need to provide evidence that the course is of a recognised standard to UK higher education. To know what evidence we need email

Student finance is generally for 3-year courses but some take 4 years. If your university structured your degree over 4 years we’ll spread your 3 years funding over 4 years so you receive 75% per year.

Work placement

Some 4 years degrees include a work placement year to gain experience. If this is unpaid, you can receive a maintenance grant to help you with your living expenses.

Integrated masters

Courses of 4 years with an integrated masters for the final year are not usually financed because this is a postgraduate qualification.

For more information or advice contact us. 


You can receive student finance for up to 3 years when you do a higher education course at a recognised university or institute.

There are extra grants if you study in clinical fields such as medicine, veterinary, dentistry or nursing.

Foundation art courses 

If you’re doing a 1 year vocational arts course, you can receive student finance for the tuition fees for an equivalent course provided at Highlands College.

Distance learning

You can receive a grant for your tuition fees if your distance learning course is your first higher education course or professional qualification.

You must be enrolled either with:

  • the open university on a 30 or 60 point course
  • a recognised distance learning institution in England, Scotland or Wales that we approved

You do not need to meet any academic requirements to receive grants for distance learning courses.

Post-graduate and other student grant

There is other funding available other than Student Finance.

Finance for post-graduate courses

You can receive student grants for some postgraduate courses such as:

  • professional qualifications such as PGCE or legal courses
  • master's degree
  • doctorate

Find more information on financing post-graduate courses.

Skills bursary

This bursary can help you develop a particular skill or talent for a course not offered on Island such as specialist sports scholarships or dance courses.

You can receive up to £6,675 per academic year.

You can apply for the bursary if you:

  • have been a Jersey resident for the last 5 years
  • are aged between 16 to 18 years old on 31 August of the academic year your course starts
  • are taking a full-time course of up to 2 years that leads to a recognised qualification at Level 2 or Level 3

To apply contact Student Finance.

Sector specific bursaries and funds

Many bursaries and funds are available through private companies or charitable trusts. These are often sector specific such as law, engineering or construction.

Find further details on educational trusts, bursaries and gift funds.

Leave, fail or change your degree and absences

Leaving or failing your degree

If you leave midway or fail your degree you’ll have to repay your tuition fees and part of your maintenance grant.

You may not have to repay your grant if you were ill. You’ll need to give a medical note as proof and a letter from your school.

Contact us before you make any decision or for more information.

Trailing a module

Your school may allow you to continue onto the next academic year and trail 1 or more modules from the previous year. This usually only happens if you have enough credits for the whole course.

To receive the grant for your autumn term you’ll have until the end of the first semester to complete all your outstanding modules. If you do not complete your modules in time you will not receive your grant for that academic year.

You should contact us if you trail modules.

Repeating an academic year

You will not receive a grant if you need to retake a year either full-time or part-time. You’ll need to pay your maintenance and tuition costs.

You’ll start to receive the grant for the following academic when you complete the repeated period.

Transferring course

If you decide to transfer to another course you will not receive a grant for a repeated period of study. This includes if this course is at a different school or the same for a term or an academic year.

You can start receiving your grant again when you have successfully completed the repeated period. 

You might be able to transfer your grant to another school if you have:

  • an agreement from your current school or both schools, if moving to a different one
  • a written confirmation from both schools supporting your transfer based on academic grounds

The course you’re transferring to must be a designated or comparable course in line with Student Finance’s requirements. You should speak to us as soon as possible if you’re thinking of transferring.

Gap year and time off Island

You can take a gap year after you applied for student finance for a maximum of 12 months before it affects your application. If you take a longer break your application can be rejected and you’ll need to apply again.

Tell us as soon as possible if you’re taking a gap year so we can put your application on hold.

Time you spend off Island over 12 months can affect your eligibility to apply for student finance. You should contact us for more information.

Absence from your course

We might hold or claim back part of your grant if you’re absent from your course.

However, you will not have to repay your grant if you absent because you were ill. You’ll need to give a medical note as proof and a letter from your school.


All applications are reviewed and a decision is made by Student Finance.

You can request a review of the decision we make by emailing

We’ll send your request to the Minister of Children and Education to review and make a final decision.

If you’re not satisfied with the Minister’s decision you can appeal to the Grants Appeal Panel. You would need to send your request to Student Finance to arrange the panel.

You have 2 months to submit your appeal from the date you receive our decision. 

Further support and advice

If you have any questions about financial help for students contact Student Finance.

You can also make an appointment with us using the following online form. Appointments can be over the phone or virtually.

Make an appointment with Student Finance

If you’re considering university but need advice on education, career options or next steps email the Careers Guidance team on

Back to top
rating button