Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Protecting your contributions records

What contributions credits are

Contributions credits are available in some circumstances to protect your contributions records. If you receive credits you do not have to pay contributions and you do not lose your entitlement to some benefits.

You can apply for contributions credits if you’re:

You must apply for contribution credits as we do not add them to your record automatically.

Being off work sick or injured

You may be able to receive sickness benefit credits if you cannot work because you’re sick or injured (claiming Long Term Incapacity Allowance).

To make a sickness claim, you must:

  • get a medical certificate from your doctor or hospital
  • fill out every section of the certificate and sign it at the bottom
  • send your completed certificate to us

You must submit your medical certificate as soon as possible after seeing your GP. We will not accept your claim if you submit it 6 months after your GP visit.

If you’re entitled to sickness credits, you’ll receive them for the time you’re signed off work.

You’ll be entitled to sickness benefit credits if you paid at least 3 months’ worth of contributions before the end of the relevant quarter. Use the table below to work out if you’re entitled to credits.

When your claim is received
The relevant quarter that affects payment of benefit
January to MarchJuly to September in the previous year
April to JuneOctober to December in the previous year
July to SeptemberJanuary to March in the same year
October to DecemberApril to June in the same year

Student credits

When you turn 18 years old you must start paying contributions. You can apply for student credits to protect your contributions records if you:

  • are in full-time education
  • are at secondary school until the end of the academic year
  • live in Jersey when you’re not at university or college

You can receive up to 3 years of student credits and it does not have to be over a single period of time. You can receive credits for different periods you’re studying and different years.

Let us know if your course is longer than 3 years. You may need to apply for Low Income Contributions Relief so you do not have to pay for the remaining time you’re studying. 

Working while you’re a full-time student

You’ll have to pay Social Security contributions if you’re a student and earn the minimum earnings threshold or more in any paid work you do. If you earn below the threshold you will not have to pay contributions and the student credits apply.

You must show your registration card and photographic identification to your employer. This means that Class 1 contributions will be deducted from your wages.

Applying for student credits

Use the online form below to apply for student credits. You can apply after you received confirmation of your place at college or university.

If you do not receive a student grant from us, you’ll need to provide a proof of studentship. Proof of studentship include:

  • Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) confirmation letter
  • letter from your Secondary school
  • letter of acceptance for a course
  • letter from your college or university
  • if we’re backdating your credits, degree certificate

Apply for students credits

Redundancy and unemployment credits

If you lose your job because of compulsory redundancy, you can apply to protect your contributions record with unemployment credits.

You can only receive credits for a limited time while you’re looking for work. You must be registered with Back to Work as a jobseeker to apply for these credits.

A Back to Work advisor will contact you to confirm if you can receive unemployment credits.

If you receive credits, you’ll be allocated an employment advisor. You’ll need to meet with them regularly and provide evidence that you’re seeking jobs.

After you completed the form you’ll also need a letter from your previous employer to apply for benefits. This must confirm the last date you worked and tha​t your redundancy is compulsory.

Register as a jobseeker

There’s no unemployment benefit in Jersey. However, you may be entitled to Income Support if you have lived here for at least 5 years.

Having a low income or not working

Having Low Income Contribution Relief does not give you a contribution credit but it means that you do not have to pay Class​ 2 contributions.

You can apply for Low Income Contributions Relief if you:

  • are not working
  • are working and earning less than £1,164 per month
  • are self-employed with a predicted annual income of less than £21,800 

Apply for Low Income Contributions Relief

Changes in circumstances

You must tell us immediately if your circumstances change so we can adjust your contributions records.

Back to top
rating button