Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Missing Social Security contributions

Receiving a missing contributions notice

  • Your social security contributions are important as they pay for your benefits, pensions and health services.

  • If you received this letter it means we have noticed a gap in your contribution record.

  • Do not worry, you just need to take one of the actions below.

I am still employed full time

Your employer should be paying and sending in your social security contributions.

If you have received a 'missing contribution' letter, it probably means that your information is missing from the monthly return or your employer has not sent it in. Please contact the person who deals with your payroll. Once we receive the information, this will correct the issue.

I am between jobs or temporarily not working

If you have left one job and you're starting another, you may have a gap in your contribution record. You can pay the amount on your contribution statement to protect your contribution record.

However, you may be able to waive your contributions for a short period between jobs, but this may affect your ability to claim benefit. To ask for a contribution waiver please email

For longer periods between jobs you can apply for low income contribution relief.

Low income contribution relief

Pay your contributions

I have stopped working or my income has reduced

If you have a low employment income or are no longer working you can apply for Low Income Contribution Relief which means you are exempted from paying contributions.

If your total income is more than the low income contribution limit, you will need to pay contributions in the form of a top-up rate. 

Low income contribution relief

Top-up rate

I am sick and can not work

If you're sick and can not work you need to get a Doctor's certificate so that you can claim short term incapacity allowance (STIA). This will also protect your contribution record.

Payments if you're off work sick

I am leaving or have left the Island

If you're leaving permanently or going away travelling for more than 3 months you should let us know. For shorter periods of time follow the guidance for temporarily not working.

Leaving the Island for more than 3 months

I am on parental leave

You can claim parental allowance to protect your contributions. Your midwife or social worker will start this claim for you.

Parental allowance

I stay at home to look after a child

If you work 20 hours or less per week and care for a child under school age you can apply for Home Responsibility Protection. This will give you a contribution credit to keep your contributions up to date.

Contribution credits for parents working 20 hours or less

I am a full time student

While you are in full-time education you can apply for student credits, which protect your contribution record.

Student credits for people over 18 in full time education

I have been made redundant

If you have lost your job because of compulsory redundancy, you can apply to protect your Social Security contribution record with unemployment credits.

Protecting your contribution record if you've been made redundant

I have become self-employed

If you are self employed you must pay your own primary and secondary social security contributions every month. This is called class 2 contributions.

You have 3 payment options depending on your income and circumstances:

  • Reduced Rate Contributions (RRC)
  • Start-up Plan
  • Class 2 top-up rate

I am retiring

If you are over a certain age and have fully retired from work, you can opt out of paying contributions.
Opting out of contributions early

Claiming Income Support

If your working situation has now changed please update Income Support.

If you have already told Income Support about any changes to your income, you still need to address your missing contributions by taking one of the actions above.

Tell Income Support about changes of circumstances

Pay your contributions

If none of these situations apply to you then you need to pay your contributions. 

The rate is based on your tax assessment from two years previous. 

If you have started working for yourself and your income is now a lot less than it was two years ago, you can apply for the start up plan.

Pay your social security contributions

Start-up plan

Being in financial difficulty and not being able to pay

If you're having financial difficulties and you cannot pay your contribution, email or call + 44 (0) 1534 444444.

We'll review your position and you may need to provide evidence as part of the review such as bank statements.

Back to top
rating button