Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Moving house or job (registration cards)

​​​​​​​Who needs a registration card

You need to have a registration card if you:

  • move house
  • start a new job
  • move to Jersey

What a registration card is 

Registration cards have replaced Social Security cards. They show:

  • your name
  • your Social Security number
  • your residential and employment status
  • the card's expiry date

They don't have a photograph and you can't use them as identification. 

How to get a registration card

To find out how to get a card, visit our how to get a registration card page.

Who to show your registration card to

Moving house

If you live in Jersey, and you move to a new home that you buy or lease, you'll need to get a registration card and show it to your landlord or lawyer, along with photographic proof of your identity (a passport or driving licence).

If you live in Jersey and you move to new lodgings, for example somewhere that's not a self-contained unit with its own bathroom and kitchen, you won't need a registration card.

Update your contact details with Government departments

Starting a new job​

If you start a new job, you will need a registration card. You must show it to your new employer, along with photographic proof of your identity.

Moving to Jersey

If you move to Jersey, you'll need to get a registration card before you start work or move into a property. 

You won't be able to work or buy or lease property without a registration card.

Register as a Jersey resident​

Cost of a registration card

The cost of a registration card depends on your residential and employment status. 

You can find out more on our residential statuses and what they mean page.

​Residential and employment status
Cost of registration card​
Entitled for work​Free​
Registered or Licensed£84​​
Back to top
rating button