Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Work permits: make an application

On 31 December 2020 at 11pm, freedom of movement between the United Kingdom and the European Union will end and as such free movement to Jersey will also cease. All persons who are non-British or Irish, will require immigration permission to visit, work, study or settle in Jersey. 

Work permits are a requirement under the Immigration (Work Permits) (Jersey) Rules 1995 and as such employers are required to apply for a work permit for those individuals who require immigration permission to enter or remain in Jersey for work.

You don't need a permit to work in Jersey if you're:

  • a British or Irish citizen or a British subject with the right of abode
  • an EU / EEA passport holder who has been granted settled or pre-settled status
  • A non-EU / non-EEA passport holder who has been granted settled or pre-settled statue by virtue of a relationship to an EU / EEA passport holder
  • a Commonwealth citizen admitted on the grounds of UK ancestry
  • a Commonwealth citizen with a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode
  • a participant in the Youth Mobility Scheme
  • a minister of religion
  • a business visitor
  • a non-EU / EEA passport holder who has no restrictions attached to your stay

The maintenance of a strict work permit policy will maintain and strengthen Jersey's position within the Common Travel Area (CTA), allowing the continued free movement of persons within the CTA, whilst retaining a robust external border.

The employer is also required to meet the requirements of the Control of Housing and Work (Jersey) Law 2012 and hold the requisite registered or licensed permission if the person does not hold Entitled or Entitled for work status. 

Which roles and sectors are eligible

There are 2 types of work permit; skilled work permits and temporary work permits.

Skilled work permits

These are granted for an initial period of up to 3 years, which can be extended further. More details on the criteria and jobs that are eligible for a work permit in this category are detailed in the work permit policy.

There are some roles which are eligible for this work permit type but exempt from the skilled worker salary threshold. These roles are listed in Appendix 3 of the work permit policy 

Temporary work permits

These are granted for up to 9 months in the hospitality, agricultural and fishing industries. Temporary permits may also be granted to the construction industry for an initial period of 1 year and are renewable up to a maximum period of 4 years. More details on the criteria and jobs that are eligible for a work permit in this category are detailed in the work permit policy

Before making an application for any type of work permit, read the work permit policy to ensure your role meets the criteria.

Where a role is not covered in the work permit policy, The Minister for Home affairs will consider applications from any sector where they are unable to recruit from within the Common Travel Area. A business case will be required and should be submitted in the first instance by email to The Head of Service, Jersey Customs and Immigration Service.

For work permits issued for 12 months or more, your prospective employee must meet the English language requirement.

When to apply for a work permit for a prospective employee

You should apply for your work permit before your prospective employee comes to Jersey.

We may consider work permit applications for employees who are in authorised employment in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, or Isle of Man. The same criteria for work permit applications apply.

Processing time and costs

The processing time is 3 weeks. You must allow enough time for the work permit to be issued and your prospective employee to apply for a visa before your employee travels to Jersey.

On completion of the application form you will be connected to an online payment platform operated by the Government of Jersey. Once payment has been completed your application will automatically be submitted to the Jersey Customs and Immigration Service. Payments are non-refundable.

 Immigration and nationality fees

Employee visas for working in Jersey

If your prospective employee is living abroad and is granted a Jersey work permit your employee is likely to need a visa before travelling to Jersey. The Jersey visa requirements are aligned to the UK visa requirements. 

Find out if you need a UK visa on the website.

Your employee may be refused entry to Jersey if they don't have the necessary visa. If you are granted a work permit, you will be sent instructions to help your prospective employee complete the visa application.

Visa application form for Jersey Work Permit Holders (

The visa application is a separate process to applying for a work permit and the work permit holder will need to meet the criteria for the issue of the visa. If the applicant is unable to do this or has an adverse immigration history then the visa maybe refused.

Find out how much a visa will cost your prospective employee on the website. The cost will be shown in the currency of your employee’s current location

The visa application is administered by the UK Home Office. Find out the visa processing times on the website.

If your prospective employee is in authorised employment in the UK, Guernsey or Isle of Man s/he will not need to travel abroad to obtain a separate visa if s/he is granted a work permit to work in Jersey. 

In these circumstances the prospective employee will need to apply for further Leave to Remain.

Make an application for Further Leave to Remain (FLR)

How to apply

This application must be completed by someone who is authorised to do so on behalf of the employer and can make payment for the work permit. 

In order to complete and submit this application you will need the following information:

  • copies of personal details page of applicant passport (and their dependents) and if applicable the page showing their current UK immigration permissions
  • knowledge of English language (if applying for more than 12 months)
  • copy of your business license
  • certificate of qualifications

You will need to add this information into your application before you can submit it.

Some sectors may be required to provide additional information in support of the application. 

You will also require a debit or credit card to make payment.

If we require additional documentary evidence in support of the application, an Officer will contact you directly using the information you have provided in this application.

Work permit application form
Back to top
rating button