Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

How your Income Support benefit is made up

​​​How is Income Support calculated?

Income Support is made up of different parts that help people with different costs. The amount of money you can get is calculated by looking at your costs and taking your earnings, assets and household income into consideration.

Income Support rates

Adults and children

For each adult and child in an Income Support household, a fixed sum of money is paid to cover personal costs such as:

  • food
  • clothing
  • GP visits
  • other daily living expenses


Help towards rent / building insurance

Depending on your circumstances, you could get help towards rent or building insurance. If you’re living with relatives or friends, you usually won’t receive any financial support towards the cost of housing.

If you are responsible for paying rent, part of any Income Support payment is there to meet your rental costs. It is your responsibility to pay your rent to your landlord, but Income Support can help you manage this.

​Age​Circumstance​​Support received
​Over 25​Rent a property​Help towards rent
​Over 25​Home owner​Help towards cost of building insurance and rates
​Under 25​Responsible for and living with a child​Help towards rent
​Under 25​Have a good reason as to why you can't live in the former family home​Help towards rent

If you’re a social housing tenant

Your rent and services will usually be paid directly to your landlord. If the amount of Income Support you are entitled to is less than your rent, you'll need to arrange to pay the balance to your landlord yourself.

If you're renting from Andium Homes

Your Income Support will normally be paid directly to Andium Homes for your rent and service charges.

If you’re renting privately  

We can pay some (or all) of your Income Support to your landlord, to help pay your rent.

If you want us to do this, you’ll need to give us a signed letter from your landlord confirming their:

  • name
  • address
  • phone number 
  • bank details

Your landlord will also need to confirm that they’re willing to receive direct payments from us, by completing the ‘landlord declaration form’ below. 

Download landlord declaration form

If you have rent arrears that need to be paid directly to your landlord, complete our ‘payment of arrears to landlord form’ below and return it to us.

If there's a risk you won’t be able to afford your rent, speak to your landlord first, or speak to Citizens’ Advice Jersey. Your landlord might agree to defer a payment, to accept rent paid direct from Income Support, or to temporarily reduce your rent to the Income Support “fair rent” levels.


If you have children, you could get help towards the cost of childcare whilst you are working. You may also get help if you have an illness or disability that restricts your ability to care for your children.

Medical and disability

If you have a long-term medical condition or disability that has lasted (or is expected to last) for at least six months, you may be able to get medical payments through Income Support.

There are three kinds of medical payment:

  • clinical cost: help with the cost of GP visits
  • personal care: help with the cost of getting someone to help you with your personal care, eg housework and cooking
  • mobility: help with the cost of transport if you have mobility problems

You can qualify in one or more of these areas, depending on the nature and severity of your medical condition.

Support for people with long term illnesses or disabilities


If you’re the main carer of a person with a serious medical condition or disability, you may be able to receive an Income Support carer’s payment. You can only claim for one person, even if you’re caring for more. However, the Income Support carer’s payment is separate to the Home Carer’s Allowance and it is possible to claim both.

Home Carer's Allowance

Cold weather payments

Cold weather payments will be made between November and May if the temperature drops below a certain level. The value of the payment depends on the temperature in the previous month.

The payment is made to any household receiving Income Support that also includes:

  • someone over 65 years old
  • a child under the age of three
  • someone with a significant disability

The payments are made automatically and there is no need to apply for them separately. They are paid in the same way as regular Income Support payments.

If you are just above the level of income to receive Income Support, you may qualify for the Cold Weather Bonus.

Food Costs Bonus and Cold Weather Bonus

Back to top
rating button