Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Claiming Income Support

​​​​​Who can apply for Income Support

You can apply for Income Support if you:

  • are on a low household income
  • pass the Income Support residence test
  • are working, looking for work or exempt from looking for work

Income Support residence test

Income Support ​policy guidel​ines

Amount of Income support you can receive

You can call us to get a quick estimate of how much Income Support you might get. It will vary according to your household circumstances, eg:

  • your age
  • if you live alone or as a couple
  • the number of dependent children or young adults living with you
  • the age and income of non-dependants living with you
  • any disability and medical needs, including needs of any dependants if you're caring for someone
  • any earnings, other income or savings you or your partner have

Income Support rates

How to claim Income Support

You need to complete an Income Support claim form and provide specific documents depending on your circumstances. You can download an example of the form below. 

If you have a long term illness or disability, you’ll need to complete an extra form.

You must return your form and all the relevant documents within 14 days or the start date of your claim will be affected. 

Make sure you provide all the relevant documents, this will reduce the time it takes us to process your claim. If we require any additional information we will contact you directly.

We'll write to you to confirm that your claim has bee​n processed with details of any entitlement.

Checklist of documents that covers most circumstances

An example of the Income Support claim form

Support for people with long term illnesses or disabilities ​

Looking for work or exempt from working

If you’re an adult under pension age, you’re expected to work full-time (35 hours a week) or to look for full-time work.

Some people are only expected to look for part-time work, and some people are not expected to work at all.

If you’re expected to work, you must register as a jobseeker and we will help you look for work. You must visit the Customer and Local Services Department regularly and prove that you’re actively seeking work.

If you don’t prove that you’re looking for work

If you don’t do enough to look for work, you’ll receive a written warning.

If you ignore this warning, your benefit will be cut and all payments to your Income Support Household will eventually be stopped.

If you leave work without good reason, your Income Support claim will also be affected.

Income Support: what happens if you leave your job or fail to look for work

Who is covered under an Income Support claim

Your Income Support benefit is based on the needs and income of your family unit, which is known as an 'Income Support Household'

A 'household' can be any of the following:

  • one person living alone
  • a couple (married, unmarried or civil partners) living together
  • a family living together with children under school leaving age or still in full time education

If you have a spouse or partner, Income Support will look to see if you are living together - either at the same address or at more than one address. If you are living together you'll be treated as one Income Support Household.

A young adult who is a jobseeker will be included in the family household up to the age of 25.

Any other family members won't be part of your Income Support Household, even if they share a property with you.

For example, if an elderly relative lives with their son or daughter, the child and parent would each be a separate Income Support Household and would have to make a separate claim.

Each adult who is included in an Income Support Household must pass the Income Support residence test.

Income Support residence test

Special payments, exceptional payments and emergencies

Certain households may qualify for other payments, including help with heating costs or those with a long-term illness, disability or very young children.

Special payments may also be made to meet urgent or essential expenses. The Social Security minister can also make them to people who wouldn’t normally qualify for Income Support.

Special payments: help with emergency costs

Food Cost Bonus and Cold Weather Bonus

If you need an agent / authority to receive payments on your behalf

If you need any of your Income Support to be paid to an agent / authority to receive payments on your behalf, complete the form below.

You can download and print the form, or collect one from us at the Customer and Local Services Department.

Application for payment to an agent or authority form

If you want somebody to speak to us about your claim

If you’d like somebody to speak to us about your claim on your behalf, complete the form below.

You can download and print the form, or collect one from us at the Customer and Local Services Department.

Authority to disclose information form

Appealing an Income Support decision

If you’re unhappy with an Income Support decision, you can ask for it to be reviewed.

If you still don’t agree with the decision, you can appeal to an independent tribunal. 

If you think a Social Security decision is wrong​​

Back to top
rating button