The deadline for applying via schools was Friday 1 December 2017.
If you're a late applicant use the form below and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org .
How primary school places are allocated
Register with your catchment school. You will then be sent in an application form in November of the year before your child is due to start school.
Return your application form to your catchment school. They will forward your details to the Education Department who allocate all school places.
You will be contacted in February with an offer of a school place.
Parents may request up to three schools in order of preference. If a school is oversubscribed, priority will be given, in the following order, to children who:
1. have a special educational need and must access a specific school / LAC
2. have brothers or sisters in the school (reception - Y5)
3. are living in the primary school catchment area
4. are living in the secondary school catchment area
5. have brothers or sisters in the school - Y6
6. have other requests supported by a good educational reason
Most children start school in the September of the school year that they turn five years of age. This is so that they can experience three terms in reception. If you are considering delaying your child's start date then contact the Education department.
Publicly funded education
To access free education in Jersey you must have the appropriate immigration status. For further information review the document below.
Access to publicly funded education
Applying for a States' school place
If your child is of school age you must complete and return the admission form below to the Education department.
You must also send copies of:
- proof of address in Jersey
- proof of your child's identity
- proof of both parent's identities
- your child's birth certificate
School admission form
Email Education Department
Registering for a primary school reception place
You must register for a reception place at your catchment school by 1 November of the year before your child is due to start school.
Registration of interest in a reception place
Find your catchment school
Applying for a school place out of your catchment area
You can request a school that isn’t in your catchment area. However you must send your registration of interest form to your catchment school.
If you're out of catchment application is not successful then you may be offered a place at a school that is not one of your choices. We recommend that you include your catchment school as one of your choices.
Find your catchment school
How secondary school places are allocated
You will automatically be offered a place at your catchment secondary school if your child is at a States' primary school (unless they are going to a fee-paying secondary school).
The offer form will be sent to you at the end of January when your child is in year 6.
You must return this form to the school that sent it to you to accept the place or ask for an out of catchment placement. They will forward your information onto the Education Department who allocate all places.
Priority is given in the following order to students who:
- have a special educational need and must attend a specific school
- live in the school catchment area
- have a brother or sister in years 7 to 10
- attend a primary school in the secondary school catchment area
- have parents who live or work in the school catchment area
- have a brother or sister in year 11
- have a good educational reason for attending a non-catchment school
Applying for Hautlieu school (years 10 to 13)
Hautlieu school manages their own admissions. Contact the school directly to apply for a place.
Places allocated to students in year 12 (A-Levels and the International Baccalaureate Diploma) will depend on GCSE results.
Hautlieu school website
Appealing against your allocated school place
If you’re not satisfied with your allocated school place, you can appeal the decision.
School admissions appeals process
Fee-paying and private schools
Fee-paying and private schools manage their own admissions. For a place you must apply directly to the school.
List of primary schools
List of secondary schools