1. Council Regulation (EU) 2018/1542 (the “Regulation”) concerning restrictive measures against the proliferation and use of chemical weapons has been amended.
2. Identifying information for the individual listed in the Annex to this Notice has been amended.
Notice summary (Full details are provided in the Annex to this Notice)
3. The following entry has been amended and remains subject to an asset freeze:
What you must do
4. You must:
- check whether you maintain any accounts or hold any funds or economic resources for the persons set out in the Annex to this Notice.
- freeze such accounts, and other funds or economic resources.
- refrain from dealing with the funds or assets or making them available (directly or indirectly) to such persons unless licensed by the Minister for External Relations (“MER”).
- report any findings to MER, together with any additional information that would facilitate compliance with the Regulation.
- provide any information concerning the frozen assets of designated persons that MER may request. Information reported to MER may be passed on to other regulatory authorities or law enforcement.
5. Where a relevant institution has already reported details of accounts, other funds or economic resources held frozen for designated persons, they are not required to report these details again.
6. Failure to comply with financial sanctions legislation or to seek to circumvent its provisions is a criminal offence.
7. The Regulation is implemented in Jersey by EU Legislation (Sanctions – Chemical Weapons) (Jersey) Order 2018 (the “Chemical Weapons Order”) which is implemented under the Sanctions and Asset-Freezing (Jersey) Law 2019 (“SAFL”).
8. On 13 October 2020 Council Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/1463 (the “Amending Regulation”) was published in the Official Journal of the European Union by the Council of the European Union.
9. The Amending Regulation amended Annex I to the Regulation with effect from 14 October 2020. Any changes to the Annex are effective immediately in Jersey by virtue of the ambulatory provisions of the Chemical Weapons Order.
10. A copy of the Amending Regulation can be obtained from the website of the Official Journal of the European Union.
11. Copies of Jersey sanctions Orders and other legislation, including the Chemical Weapons Order and SAFL, can be found on the Jersey Legal Information Board website.
12. Copies of recent Notices, certain EU Regulations and Jersey legislation can be found on the Chemical Weapons financial sanctions page on the Jersey Financial Services Commission website.
13. For more information on financial sanctions please see the Jersey Financial Services Commission guidance on financial sanctions.
14. Non-media enquiries, reports and licence applications should be addressed to:
Head of International Compliance
Office of the Chief Executive
Annex to Notice
15. Full details of the amendments