1. On 18 February 2022, the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) Committee established pursuant to resolution 751 (1992) concerning Somalia approved the addition of one entry to its Sanctions List of individuals and entities subject to an asset freeze.
2. In accordance with the Sanctions and Asset-Freezing (Jersey) Law 2019 (“SAFL”) and the Sanctions and Asset-Freezing (Implementation of External Sanctions) (Jersey) Order 2021 (the “Sanctions Order”), any new asset-freeze designations made by the UNSC 751 Sanctions Committee have immediate effect in Jersey.
Notice summary (Full details are provided in the Annex to this Notice)
3. The following entry has been added and is subject to an asset freeze:
What you must do
4. You must:
- check whether you maintain any accounts or hold any funds or economic resources for the persons set out in the Annex to this Notice.
- freeze such accounts, and other funds or economic resources.
- refrain from dealing with the funds or assets or making them available (directly or indirectly) to such persons unless licensed by the Minister for External Relations and Financial Services (“MERFS”).
- report any findings to MERFS, together with any additional information that would facilitate compliance with SAFL.
- provide any information concerning the frozen assets of designated persons that MERFS may request. Information reported to MERFS may be passed on to other regulatory authorities or law enforcement.
5. Failure to comply with sanctions legislation or to seek to circumvent its provisions is a criminal offence.
6. Further information on sanctions can be found on the Government of Jersey website and the Jersey Financial Services Commission (JFSC) website.
7. Jersey guidance on the Somalia sanctions regime is available on JFSC website.
8. Copies of Jersey sanctions legislation, including SAFL and the Sanctions Order, can be found on the Jersey Legal Information Board website.
9. Further details on the UN measures in respect of Somalia can be found on the relevant UN Sanctions Committee webpage.
10. A copy of the UK sanctions list can be found here.
11. A copy of the UK Office of Financial Sanctions Implementation consolidated list can be found here.
12. Non-media enquiries, sanctions compliance reporting, and licence applications should be addressed to:
Head of International Compliance
Office of the Chief Executive
ANNEX TO NOTICE
FINANCIAL SANCTIONS: SOMALIA
1. RAGE, Ali Mohamed
SOi.021 Title: na Designation: Spokesperson of Al-Shabaab DOB: 1966 POB: Somalia Good quality a.k.a.: a) Ali Mohammed Rage b) Ali Dheere c) Ali Dhere d) Ali Mohamed Rage Cali Dheer e) Ali Mohamud Rage Low quality a.k.a.: na Nationality: Somalia Passport no: na National identification no: na Address: Somalia Listed on: 18 Feb. 2022 Other information: Listed pursuant to paragraph 43(a) of resolution 2093 (2013) as “Engaging in or providing support for acts that threaten the peace, security or stability of Somalia, including acts that threaten the peace and reconciliation process in Somalia, or threaten the Federal Government of Somalia or AMISOM by force.” As a spokesperson for Al-Shabaab, Rage is involved in promulgating and supporting the group’s terrorist activities. INTERPOL-UN Security Council Special Notice web link: www.interpol.int/en/How-we-work/Notices/View-UN-Notices-Individuals
Ministry of External Relations
22 February 2022