1. Council Regulation (EU) 36/2012 (“the Regulation”) imposing financial sanctions in view of the situation in Syria has been amended so that an asset freeze no longer applies to the natural and legal persons, entities or bodies listed in this Notice.
2. Identifying information for the individuals listed in the Annex to this Notice has been amended.
Notice summary (Full details are provided in the Annex to this Notice)
3. The following entries have been removed and are no longer subject to an asset freeze:
- Maen Rizk Allah HAYKAL
- Jamea JAMEA
- Hayan KADDOUR
- Developers Private Joint Stock Company
4. The following entry has been amended and is still subject to an asset freeze:
SOLEIMANI has been removed from the Syria regime, however, he remains listed under the EU Legislation (Sanctions – Iran) (Jersey) Order 2015 and as a terrorism designation under the Sanctions and Asset-Freezing (Jersey) Law 2019 (“SAFL”) and continues to be subject to an asset freeze.
What you must do
5. You must:
- check whether you maintain any accounts or hold any funds or economic resources for the individual set out in the Amendments section of the Annex to this Notice
- freeze such accounts, and other funds or economic resources
- refrain from dealing with the funds or assets or making them available (directly or indirectly) to such person unless licensed by the Minister for External Relations (“MER”)
- report any findings to MER, together with any additional information that would facilitate compliance with the Regulation
- provide any information concerning the frozen assets of designated individual that MER may request. Information reported to MER may be passed on to other regulatory authorities or law enforcement
6. Where a relevant institution has already reported details of accounts, other funds or economic resources held frozen for designated persons, they are not required to report these details again.
7. Failure to comply with financial sanctions legislation or to seek to circumvent its provisions is a criminal offence.
8. The Regulation is implemented in Jersey by the EU Legislation (Sanctions – Syria) (Jersey) Order 2014 (“the Syria Order”), which is implemented under SAFL.
9. On 29 May 2020 Council Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/716 (“the Amending Regulation”) was published in the Official Journal of the European Union by the Council of the European Union.
10. The Amending Regulation amended Annex II to the Regulation with effect from 30 May 2020. Any changes to the Annex are effective immediately in Jersey by virtue of the ambulatory provisions of the Syria Order.
11. A copy of the Amending Regulation can be obtained from the website of the Official Journal of the European Union.
12. Copies of Jersey sanctions Orders and other legislation, including the Syria Order and SAFL, can be found on the Jersey Legal Information Board website.
13. Copies of recent Notices, certain EU Regulations and Jersey legislation can be found on the Syria financial sanctions page on the Jersey Financial Services Commission (JFSC) website.
14. For more information please see the Jersey Financial Services Commission guidance on financial sanctions
15. Non-media enquiries, reports and licence applications should be addressed to:
Head of International Compliance
Office of the Chief Executive
ANNEX TO NOTICE
FINANCIAL SANCTIONS: SYRIA
COUNCIL IMPLEMENTING REGULATION (EU) 2020/716
AMENDING ANNEX II TO COUNCIL REGULATION (EU) 36/2012
1. HAYKAL, Maen Rizk Allah
a.k.a: RIZKALLAH, Heikal, Bin Nationality: Syrian Position: Secondary Shareholder of Exceed Development and Investment Company Other Information: Leading businessperson operating in Syria, who holds a 33 % stake in Exceed Development and Investment, which has entered into a USD 17,7 million joint venture for the construction of Marota City, a regime-backed luxury residential and commercial development. Through the participation in the Marota City development, Maen Rizk Allah Haykal benefits from and/or supports the Syrian regime. Listed on: 22/01/2019 Last Updated: 02/06/2020
2. JAMEA, Jamea
Title: Brigadier-General a.k.a: (1) JAME', Jame' (2) JAMI, Jami (3) JAMI', Jami' Position: Branch Chief for Syrian Military Intelligence (SMI) in Dayr az-Zor. Listed on: 24/08/2011 Last Updated: 02/06/2020
3. KADDOUR, Hayan
DOB: (1) 14/07/1970. (2) 24/07/1970. POB: Damascus, Syria a.k.a: (1) NAZEM, Hayyan, Kaddour, bin, Mohammed (2) QADDOUR, Hayan, Mohammad, Nazem Nationality: (1) Syrian (2) Swiss Passport Details: X4662433 (place of issue: Switzerland), N 004599905 (place of issue: Syrian Arab Republic) Position: Primary Shareholder of Exceed Development and Investment Company Other Information: Leading businessperson operating in Syria, who holds a 67 % stake in Exceed Development and Investment, which has entered into a USD 17,7 million joint venture for the construction of Marota City, a regime-backed luxury residential and commercial development. Through his participation in the Marota City development, Hayan Mohammad Nazem Qaddour benefits from and/or supports the Syrian regime. Listed on: 22/01/2019 Last Updated: 02/06/2020
1. DEVELOPERS PRIVATE JOINT STOCK COMPANY
a.k.a: Developers Private JSC Address: Damascus, Syria. Other Information: Developers Private Joint Stock Company is a USD 17,7 million joint venture between Damascus Cham Holdings and Exceed Development and Investment. Through its participation in the regime-backed luxury development Marota City, Developers Private Joint Stock Company supports and/or benefits from the Syrian regime. Listed on: 22/01/2019 Last Updated: 02/06/2020
1. SOLEIMANI, Qasem
Title: Major General DOB: 11/03/1957. POB: Qom, Iran a.k.a: (1) SALIMANI, Qasem (2) SOLAIMANI, Qasem (3) SOLEIMANY, Qasim (4) SOLEMANI, Qasem (5) SOLEYMANI, Ghasem (6) SOLEYMANI, Qasem (7) SULAIMANI, Qasem (8) SULAYMAN, Qasem (9) SULAYMAN, Qasmi (10) SULEMANI, Qasem Nationality: Iranian (Iranian citizenship) Passport Details: 008827 issued in Iran Position: Commander of Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, IRGC - Qods Other Information: (Deceased). Both UK listing and EU listing under Terrorism and Terrorist Financing. Promoted to Major General, retaining his position as Commander of Qods Force. UN listing under Iran (nuc prol). Male. UN Ref IRi.039. Also known as Haj Qasem, Haji Qassem and Sarder Soleimani. Listed on: 24/03/2007 Last Updated: 02/06/2020
Ministry of External Relations