1. On 23 November 2021, the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) Committee established pursuant to resolutions 1267 (1999), 1989 (2011) and 2253 (2015) concerning ISIL (Da’esh) and Al-Qaida approved the addition of one entry to its Sanctions List of individuals and entities subject to an asset freeze.
2. In accordance with the Sanctions and Asset-Freezing (Jersey) Law 2019 (“SAFL”) and the Sanctions and Asset-Freezing (Implementation of External Sanctions) (Jersey) Order 2021 (the “Sanctions Order”), any new asset-freeze designations made by the UNSC ISIL (Da’esh) and Al-Qaida Sanctions Committee have immediate effect in Jersey.
Notice summary (Full details are provided in the Annex to this Notice)
3. The following entry has been added and is subject to an asset freeze:
What you must do
4. You must:
- check whether you maintain any accounts or hold any funds or economic resources for the persons set out in the Annex to this Notice.
- freeze such accounts, and other funds or economic resources.
- refrain from dealing with the funds or assets or making them available (directly or indirectly) to such persons unless licensed by the Minister for External Relations and Financial Services (“MERFS”).
- report any findings to MERFS, together with any additional information that would facilitate compliance with SAFL.
- provide any information concerning the frozen assets of designated persons that MERFS may request. Information reported to MERFS may be passed on to other regulatory authorities or law enforcement.
5. Failure to comply with sanctions legislation or to seek to circumvent its provisions is a criminal offence.
7. Jersey guidance on the ISIL (Da’esh) and Al-Qaida sanctions regime is available on JFSC website
8. Copies of Jersey sanctions legislation, including SAFL
and the Sanctions Order
, can be found on the Jersey Legal Information Board website.
10. A copy of the UK sanctions list can be found here.
11. A copy of the UK Office of Financial Sanctions Implementation consolidated list can be found here
12. Non-media enquiries, reports and licence applications should be addressed to:
Head of International Compliance
Office of the Chief Executive
ANNEX TO NOTICE
FINANCIAL SANCTIONS: ISIL (DA’ESH) AND AL-QAIDA
1. ALI, Emraan
DOB: 4 Jul. 1967 POB: Rio Claro, Trinidad and Tobago a.k.a.: Abu Jihad TNT Nationality: a) Trinidad and Tobago b) United States of America Passport no: a) Trinidad and Tobago TB162181 (issued on 27 January 2015, expired 26 January 2020) b) United States of America, 420985453 (expired 6 February 2017) National identification no: Trinidad and Tobago 19670704052 Address: a) United States of America (in detention, Federal Detention Center Miami, Register Number: 10423-509 b) #12 Rio Claro Mayaro Road, Rio Claro, Trinidad (previous location 2008-March 2015) c) #7 GUAYAGUAYARE Road, Rio Claro, Trinidad (previous location circa 2003) d) United States of America (previous location- January 1991-2008) Listed on: 23 November 2021 Other information: Senior member of Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), listed as Al-Qaida in Iraq (QDe.115). Recruited for ISIL and instructed individuals to perpetrate terrorist acts via online video. Physical description: height 176 cm, weight 73 kg, medium built, colour of eyes- brown, colour of hair- black/bald, complexion- brown. Speaks English. INTERPOL-UN Security Council Special Notice web link: https://www.interpol.int/en/How-we-work/Notices/View-UN-Notices-Individuals
Ministry of External Relations
25 November 2021