Le Bas centre (FOI)
Le Bas centre (FOI)Produced by the Freedom of Information office
Authored by Government of Jersey and published on 06 January 2020.
Prepared internally, no external costs.
What were the restrictions and / or conditions on use imposed when Le Bas Centre was acquired by the public of the Island?
The Le Bas Centre Site was gifted to the Public of the Island by the surviving Trustees of the Jersey Dispensary and Infirmary Association on the 8 July 1950.
There was a Restrictive Use Covenant upon the site, which was abrogated (repealed) by the passing of the ‘Use of Former Site of Maternity Hospital (Jersey) Law, 1989’. The abrogated covenant stated
"that the site be maintained and used as an Island maternity home".
In the case of the maternity hospital, the covenant had been imposed in the contract by the Trustees of the Jersey Dispensary and Infirmary Association. The preamble to the Law of 1989 records that The States of Jersey agreed to pay the sum of £25,000 to the Trustees, and that the Trustees had given in writing their assent to the use of the land and buildings for other purposes and their willingness for the Restrictive Use Covenant to be abrogated.
All Royal Court property contracts are available to view in the Public Registry. The Public Registry may be searched by any person free of charge during office hours at the Judicial Greffe, Royal Court House, Royal Square, St Helier, JE1 1JG or at Jersey Archive, Clarence Road, St Helier, JE2 4JY. Alternatively, the Public Registry staff can perform searches for a fee.
Details of office hours and any relevant fees may be found on the Gov.je website at the following link:
Public Registry services, fees and Stamp Duty