Do not bring banned dogs
We can seize any dog on the banned list or dogs showing characteristics represented by those on the banned list.
Types of banned dog
It's illegal to bring certain types of dog into Jersey. We can seize any dog on the banned list or if the dog showing characteristics represented by those on the banned list.
Dogs on the banned list are types rather than breeds because they are not recognised breeds by the
Banned dogs include any dog of the type commonly known as the:
- Dogo Argentino
- Fila Brasileiro (Brazilian Mastiff)
- Japanese Tosa (or Tosa)
- Pit Bull Terrier
It also includes any other type which appears to have been bred for fighting.
The following are commonly known as Pit Bull Terriers. You should seek advice before importing them into Jersey:
- American Staffordshire Terriers (Am Staffs or AST's)
- American Bulldogs, including XL Bulldogs or Bully’s
- Presa Canario
- Irish Staffordshire Bull Terrier (not to be confused with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier)
- Old Fashioned Staffords (not to be confused with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier)
- Traditional Staffords (not to be confused with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier)
List of other
prohibited animals in Jersey.
Know what breed you're buying
It's your responsibility to make sure you do not bring a banned dog to Jersey.
Follow these tips to help you know what breed you're buying:
- do your research before you decide on what breed of dog you want
- buy locally if you can or consider rescuing a dog from the
- if you have to buy in the UK, always buy from a respectable breeder registered with the
- always visit the puppy in its home environment and ask to see the puppy's parents
- don't buy a dog from an unknown source. It's important that you know where it comes from and where it was born
- do your research on banned dogs so you know what types to avoid
- ask to see pedigree papers
- be aware that many banned dogs breeds are advertised as other breeds and the seller may try to mislead you about the animal's history, breed or pedigree
- take extra precautions if you're buying a dog from outside of the UK. Puppy farming and smuggling is common throughout Europe
Guidance on buying a dog on GOV.UK