Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Work permits: make an application

All persons who are non-British or Irish require immigration permission to visit, work, study or settle in Jersey. 

Work permits are a requirement under the Immigration (Work Permits) (Jersey) Rules 1995. Employers must apply for a work permit for individuals who need immigration permission to enter or remain in Jersey for work.

You don't need a permit to work in Jersey if you're:

  • a British or Irish citizen or a British subject with the right of abode
  • an EU or EEA passport holder who has been granted settled or pre-settled status
  • a non-EU or non-EEA passport holder who has been granted settled or pre-settled statue by virtue of a relationship to an EU or EEA passport holder
  • a Commonwealth citizen admitted on the grounds of UK ancestry
  • a Commonwealth citizen with a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode
  • a participant in the Youth Mobility Scheme
  • a minister of religion
  • a business visitor
  • a non-EU or EEA passport holder who has no restrictions attached to your stay
  • enrolled on a full-time degree course in the UK and hold a Tier 4 UK Student Visa

The maintenance of a strict work permit policy will maintain and strengthen Jersey's position within the Common Travel Area (CTA). Allowing the continued free movement of persons within the CTA, whilst retaining a robust external border.

The employer is also required to meet the requirements of the Control of Housing and Work (Jersey) Law 2012. You may be required to demonstrate as part of the work permit application process that you are in compliance with this legislation. 

More information can be found at Employing staff (registration cards).

Before making an application for any type of work permit, read the work permit policy to ensure your role meets the criteria. Employers should only be applying for permits for the duration that they require the employee for. For example, if a construction company only has 3 months work available then they should only apply for a 3 month permit.

Where a role is not covered in the work permit policy, The Minister for Home Affairs will consider applications from any sector where they are unable to recruit from within the Common Travel Area. A business case will be required and should be submitted by email to The Head of Service, Jersey Customs and Immigration Service.

By applying for a work permit the employer agrees that access will be granted to work premises to JCIS Officers by appointment to conduct checks to ensure compliance with the work permit policy.

Work permit policy - frequently asked questions

Which roles and sectors are eligible

The 2 types of work permits available are:

  • skilled work permits
  • temporary work permits

Skilled work permits

These are granted for an initial period of up to 3 years, which can be extended further. More details on the criteria and jobs that are eligible for a work permit in this category are detailed in the work permit policy.

There are some roles which are eligible for this work permit type but exempt from the skilled worker salary threshold. These roles are listed in Appendix 3 of the work permit policy.

For work permits issued for longer than 12 months, your prospective employee must meet the English language requirement. 

Your employee will only be able to bring dependants with them if the work permit is issued for longer than 12 months.

Temporary work permits

9 month temporary work permits are issued for any period up to 9 months for roles in agriculture, construction, fishing, and hospitality. These permits cannot be extend beyond 9 months, and the employee must leave the Common Travel Area for a minimum period of 3 months.

12 month temporary work permits can be issued for the hospitality sector which can be extended annually up to a maximum period of 3 years, and the employee must leave the Common Travel Area for a period equal to the amount of time spent in Jersey. 

12 month temporary work permits can be issued for the construction industry which can be extended annually up to 3 years, but can be extended for 4 years where it can be demonstrated that the project named in the original application is ongoing. The employee must leave the Common Travel Area for a period equal to the amount of time spent in Jersey.

6 month student work permit route can be issued to any sector where it can be demonstrated that the role being applied for directly relates to the students course of study. This route is only available to French nationals enrolled on a full-time course in further or higher education in France. The employee must leave the Common Travel Area for a period equal to the amount of time spent in Jersey. 

More information about the 9 month temporary work permit, 12 month temporary work permits for the hospitality sector and construction industry, and 6 month student work permits can be found on in the work permit policy.

Temporary Workers in any category will not be able to bring their dependants to join them in Jersey.

Extension to temporary work permits (hospitality sector only)

The Minister for Home Affairs has agreed to allow employers to apply for a one off in-country extension to 9 month temporary hospitality work permits issued with a start date on or before 8 July 2022 without the need to leave the Common Travel Area. This exception makes no substantive changes to the work permit policy.

Those who have already had their permits extended by up to 9 months and coming to the end of an 18 month period will be unable to extend further and must leave the Common Travel Area for a minimum period of 3 months before they can return.

Applications for an extension are made using the Work permit application form at the bottom of this page. The same qualifying criteria and restrictions apply to an extension as to 9 months work permits as listed in the work permit policy. However, workers won't need to provide new overseas criminal record certificates when applying for an extension.

Employers must ensure that they have the necessary registered permissions on their Business Licence when applying for immigration work permits.

If an extension to the work permit is granted then the employee will be required to apply for Further Leave to Remain (Seasonal Worker).

Immigration and nationality fees.

When to apply for a work permit for a prospective employee

You should apply for your work permit before your prospective employee comes to Jersey. A person who enters Jersey as a visitor with the intention of seeking work may be refused at the border and will be unable to switch into work permit employment.

We may consider work permit applications for employees who are in authorised employment in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, or Isle of Man. The same criteria for work permit applications apply.

Processing time and costs

The processing time is 3 weeks. You must allow enough time for the work permit to be issued and your prospective employee to apply for a visa before your employee travels to Jersey.

On completion of the application form you will be connected to an online payment platform operated by the Government of Jersey. Once payment has been completed your application will automatically be submitted to the Jersey Customs and Immigration Service. Payments are non-refundable.

Immigration and nationality fees

Employee visas for working in Jersey

If your prospective employee is living abroad and is granted a Jersey work permit your employee is likely to need a visa before travelling to Jersey. The Jersey visa requirements are aligned to the UK visa requirements. 

Find out if you need a UK visa on the website.

Your employee may be refused entry to Jersey if they don't have the necessary visa. If you are granted a work permit, you will be sent instructions to help your prospective employee complete the visa application.

Visa application form for Jersey Work Permit Holders (

The visa application is a separate process to applying for a work permit and the work permit holder will need to meet the criteria for the issue of the visa. If the applicant is unable to do this or has an adverse immigration history then the visa maybe refused.

Find out how much a visa will cost your prospective employee on the website. The cost will be shown in the currency of your employee’s current location

The visa application is administered by the UK Home Office. Find out the visa processing times on the website.

If your prospective employee is in authorised employment in the UK, Guernsey or Isle of Man they will not need to travel abroad to obtain a separate visa if they are granted a work permit to work in Jersey. 

In these circumstances the prospective employee will need to apply for further Leave to Remain.

Make an application for Further Leave to Remain (FLR)

How to apply

The work permit application form must be completed by someone authorised to do so on behalf of the employer and can make payment for the work permit.

When you can apply

Applications for new work permits will not be accepted more than 3 months before the start date (including those changing employer).

Extensions to skilled work permits will not be accepted more than 6 months before the expiry of the current permit.

Extensions to temporary work permits will not be accepted more than 3 months before the expiry of the current permit.

Information you need to apply

To complete and submit the application you need:

  • copies of personal details page of the applicant passport (and their dependents) and if applicable the page showing their current UK immigration permissions
  • knowledge of English language (if applying for more than 12 months)
  • copy of your business license
  • certificate of qualifications
  • a debit or credit card (to make the payment)

You will need to add this information in your application before you can submit it.

Some sectors may need to provide additional information in support of the application.

If we require additional documentary evidence in support of the application, one of our Officer will contact you using the information you have provided in the application.

Work permit application form

Back to top
rating button