Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Registering your vehicle in Jersey

When vehicles need to be registered​​​

If you are moving to Jersey and taking up residence for more than 12 months, then you must register your vehicle immediately. There is no six​ month rule. You cannot drive in Jersey on foreign registration plates.

If you’re a Jersey resident importing a foreign vehicle, then you must also register it immediately. Jersey residents cannot drive a foreign registered vehicle in Jersey.

Be aware that acceptable continuity of ownership must be proven in order for a vehicle to be registered.

You must be able to prove that you own the vehicle in order for it to be registered.

Does my vehicle need to meet any specifications?

Your vehicle must be in Jersey and may need to be examined prior to registration. This will depend on its registration history. It will need to meet certain specifications.

It cannot be fitted with 'bull bars', and must also conform with Jersey's construction and use and lighting legislations. Some items which may not comply include:

  • headlights that are not designed or manufactured for driving on the left hand side of the road
  • mirrors without safety markings 
  • seatbelts and anchorages without safety markings
  • speedometers that are not marked in both mph and kph 
  • red direction indicators
  • lamps without the required angles of visibility
  • wheels and tyres that project beyond the wheel arches
  • windscreens and front side windows that are tinted beyond the legal limit 

The above list is not exhaustive.

If your vehicle is over 25 years old, then special exemption provisions will apply.

What documents will I need to prod​uce?

If you want to register any motor vehicle in Jersey, then you will need to produce the following original documents (faxes, emails, scans or photocopies of documents are not acceptable):

  • evidence of identity and permanent residence in Jersey, eg a current Jersey driving licence
  • a certificate of insurance or cover note in your full name. An insurance disc is not acceptable for registration purposes
  • a Jersey Customs import declaration. This is not required if you are a Customs approved trader. You may complete the declaration on​line
  • motor caravans also require a letter from the Department of Environment regarding the required permit

 Customs declaration and payment website

Applying for or renewing a driving licence

Do I need to pay any duty or tax when I register m​​​y vehicle?

Vehicles may incur a Vehicle Emissions Duty (VED). VED is an imports (excise) duty on vehicles and becomes liable at the time the vehicle is first required to be registered. This includes vehicles already in the Island that have not yet been registered with J plates.

Duty will be based on manufacturers' CO2 emissions data. CO2 emissions data is normally only available for cars produced since March 2001. For vehicles manufactured before this date, the cubic capacity (cc) will be used.

Find out more about VED

Download 2014 rates of duty for CO2 and cylinder capacity (size 92kb)​

My vehicle has been regi​​stered in another country

If your vehicle has been registered in another country and you plan on taking up residence in Jersey for more than 12 months, you'll need to do the following:

  • produce the original documents as listed above
  • book your vehicle in for an inspection by completing the VRD 17 form
  • pay the inspection fee of £32.10
  • provide the registration document or certificate of permanent export for the vehicle
  • provide a certificate of type approval for vehicles under 25 years old
  • provide an invoice or bill of sale for the vehicle
  • pay any Vehicle Emissions D​uty (VED)
  • pay any Goods and Services Tax (GST)

Download VRD 17 booking form (size 96kb)

Passing the vehicle inspection

If your vehicle passes the examination, you will need to produce the following at the Driver and Vehicle Standards registration office, La Collette:

  • a completed VRD 2 application form (available from the DVS registration office)
  • the registration fee £25.40
  • the registration document or certificate of title or certificate of permanent export for the vehicle

My vehicle has never been registered in another​​ country

Vehicles which have never been registered fall into 2 categories:

  • vehicles with EU type approval
  • vehicles without EU type approval

For both categories, you will need to produce the following (as well as the documents noted above):

  • a completed V55 / 1 (this form is issued by the manufacturer of the vehicle when it leaves the factory) or
  • acceptable evidence from the manufacturer or the manufacturer's main dealer that the vehicle was supplied unregistered (certificate of origin for ex-USA vehicles)

If your vehicle has EU type approval you must also produce a completed VRD 2 application form (available from the DVS registration office)

If your vehicle does not have EU type approval, then it will need to be inspected prior to registration. To make an appointment for your vehicle to be inspected, you must also produce a completed VRD 17 booking form. 

If your vehicle passes the examination, you will need to produce the following at the vehicle registration office:

  • a completed VRD 2 application form  (only available from the Driver and Vehicle Standards registration office La Collette) 
  • the registration fee of £25.40

* If the vehicle is being independently imported and you cannot produce a V55 / 1, then you must produce either:

  • a European Community 'Whole Vehicle Type Approval' certificate of conformity or other acceptable type approval certificate, and an invoice or bill of sale for the vehicle (if the vehicle is being imported from within the EU)
  • an invoice or bill of sale for the vehicle (if the vehicle is being imported from outside the EU)  

How do I know if my vehicle has EU type approval?

Check your registration document for a type approval number or contact your vehicle manufacturer. All vehicles built in the EU for use in EU countries will have type approval.​

Back to top
rating button