Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Contribution credits for a stay at home parent: Home Responsibility Protection

Apply for Home Responsibility Protection (HRP)

To apply for contribution credits (HRP) if you're a stay at home parent, fill out the form below.

Apply for contribution credits if you're a stay at home parent

About Home Responsibility Protection (HRP)

If you stay at home to care for a child under school age, you can apply to protect your Social Security contribution record with a credit called Home Responsibility Protection (HRP). 

HRP protects your entitlement to a pension and Survivor’s Benefit while you’re not working.

It doesn’t cover you for sickness or maternity benefits.

Who can apply for Home Responsibility Protection (HRP)

You can claim HRP if: 

  • you're 18 or over but under pension age
  • you've been living in Jersey for at least six months
  • you work less than 20 hours a week
  • you stay at home to look after a child under school age
  • you live with the child you're looking after
  • the child you're caring for attends school or nursery for under 20 hours a week
  • this child is not cared for by a childminder

You can claim HRP for a maximum of 10 years over your working life.

To receive HRP, you can be any of the following:

  • parent
  • step-parent
  • somebody living with and looking after the child
  • single
  • married
  • co-habiting
  • civil-partnership 

Only one adult in the family can claim HRP but this can be a man or a woman.  

Maternity benefits

While you’re receiving maternity benefits, you can’t claim HRP. However, you can still apply for HRP so that the credits start as soon as your maternity benefit ends.

If you are receiving HRP and have another child, you need to check if you are eligible for maternity benefits. 

Maternity and family support

Working and claiming Home Responsibility Protection (HRP)

You can work up to 20 hours a week and still claim HRP.

If you work more than 20 hours a week, contact us.  

If you become employed and pay Class 1 contributions, we’ll automatically stop your HRP credits for the months you are working.  

Back dating Home Responsibility Protection (HRP)

We can back date your HRP credits if you provide all the information required in the form.

Collect a form from the Social Security Department reception or phone us and we'll post one to you.

If your claim is not allowed

If we decide you're not eligible for HRP credits, we’ll write to you to tell you. We’ll also tell you what to do if you’re not happy with the decision.

If you’re not eligible for HRP, you’ll be expected to pay Social Security contributions.

About contributions

If your circumstances change while you are claiming HRP

We need to know if:

  • the number of hours you work changes
  • the amount that you earn changes
  • you and your child change address
  • another child joins the family
  • you and your child leave the Island for 28 days or more
  • you or your child go into hospital for 28 days or more

Back to top
rating button