Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Woman holding baby bumpWoman holding baby bump

Maternity Grant

The Maternity Grant is a single (tax free) payment of £667.59 to help with the general cost of having a baby. It's normally paid directly into your bank account.  

If you have multiple births (twins, triplets or more), you'll get this amount for each baby.

Maternity Grant: single payment

Maternity pay 

Maternity Allowance is paid weekly to help you take time off work to have a baby. It’s paid for a maximum of 18 weeks. 

The current rate for Maternity Allowance is £222.53 a week, paid directly into your bank account. 

One allowance is paid per pregnancy. The amount is not increased if you have twins or triplets.

Maternity Allowance: weekly payments

Family friendly employment legislation 2020

New family friendly employment legislation has been introduced from 28 June 2020, providing breastfeeding rights for new mothers. From 5 July 2020, it also allows new parents up to 52 weeks of leave following the birth of their baby as well as an increase in paid paternal leave from 2 weeks to 6 weeks for the second parent (the partner of the birth mother).

Family friendly employment legislation

Contribution credits

If you stay at home to care for a child under school age, or you work 20 hours or less per week, you can apply to protect your Social Security contribution record with a credit called Home Responsibility Protection.

This protects your entitlement to a pension and Survivor’s Benefit while you’re not working.

It doesn’t cover you for sickness or maternity benefits.

Contribution credits for parents working 20 hours or less: Home Responsibility Protection (HRP)

Income Support 

You can apply for Income Support if you:
  • are on a low household income
  • pass the Income Support residence test
  • are working, looking for work or exempt from looking for work

Find out if you can claim, how to apply for Income Support, and details about emergency support and special payments.

Back to top
rating button