Changing your child's name or their birth registration
It's possible apply to change your child's name or to change the details on your child's birth registration if:
- you wish to change or add any names to your child's registration. You can apply to change your child's name at any time within the first year of your child's birth
- you must also apply to re-register your child if you have married each other following your child's original birth registration. If you're re-registering your child's surname after getting married you can ask to add or remove any forename at the same time
- your child was originally registered with no father's details on their birth registration, you can jointly apply with the father of the child to re-register the child's birth and add his details
To change your child's name both parents need to make an appointment with the Office of the Superintendent Registrar and take:
- a completed application to register a birth form
- your child's original birth certificate
- your own ID
- your marriage certificate, if applicable
- a fee of £91.54, this includes £32.31 for a replacement birth certificate
You'll be asked to complete and sign the form relating to the type of application you are making. You can order a new certificate for your child.
Any fees paid to the Superintendent Registrar are non-refundable.
The Office of the Superintendent Registrar is now registering all births across the Island, including home births.