About Targeted Short Breaks
The Child Development and Therapy Centre co-ordinate the targeted Short Break offer. This is for children and young people aged 4-18 years whose families meet the criteria.
This offer consists of:
- a weekly session at a 3 hour weekend play or youth group (A charge of £5 per session will charged from 1st January 2020)
- 7 sessions per year at a short break authorised school holiday play or youth scheme. (A charge of £10 per 6 hour session will be charged from 1st January 2020)
If you feel you might struggle to pay these fees, please contact us as we may be able to help. We wouldn't want any child missing out on their activity due to lack of funds.
Your family is eligible if:
- your child has a permanent and severe disability or health condition. Their disability impacts on your family's normal everyday activities and you feel your child would enjoy a short break
- your child isn't able to go to youth clubs, after school activities or other community groups. They aren't able to have time away from you with extended family and friends etc.
Your family must also meet two of the following criteria:
- your child has behaviours that you find challenging. These behaviours might present a risk of harm to themselves or to others
- you are a single parent with no extended family support
- you have more than one child with a disability, or you have other children under 18 years whose lives are affected because of the support needed for their brother or sister
- you have a disability or diagnosed health need which affects your ability to care for your child
- your sleep is disturbed because of your child's needs
Accessing the Targeted Short Break offer
If you meet the criteria, a professional needs to make a referral to the Short Break Service. You can ask any professional working with you and your child to do this for you. This could be a health professional, a teacher or the special educational needs coordinator (SENCo) at your child's school.
When the Short Break is approved, we will offer your child a place on a play or youth scheme appropriate to their age. If you accept the place we will send the referral form to the provider. The provider will contact you to arrange a visit and agree a start date.
If your request is not agreed, we will signpost you to other services.
There is further information and support listed in the
Children with Disabilities Directory.