Oakwell is a short break home specialising in personalised short breaks for children and young people up to 18 with a range of additional needs including:
- intellectual disability
- physical disability
- sensory impairments
Facilities at Oakwell
- five bedrooms
- a large sensory garden with direct access from the bedrooms and the lounge / diner
- a fully equipped interactive sensory room
- a hydrotherapy pool with light and sound system
- interactive communication systems for children, eg eye gaze technology
- equipment to support children’s mobility, eg tracking hoist systems, wet rooms, height adjustable baths, wheelchair accessible vehicles
Services at Oakwell
Oakwell provides a range of planned short breaks, from a few hours to a few days and occasionally longer, depending on the assessed needs of the child and their family.
We aim to provide targeted support to improve outcomes for all children and young people during their time at Oakwell. Support may focus on learning independence skills, enhancing communication or exploring sensory needs within a specialist multi-sensory environment – but most of all to have fun.
Referral to Oakwell
Referrals are made following an assessment by a social worker from the Complex Needs Team. The Social Work team are accessed through the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub as a central point for all new referrals.
Parents are able to access Oakwell’s Hydrotherapy pool where appropriate. Contact the Short Breaks Service Lead for more information.
Contact the Short Breaks Service Lead