Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Health agreements between Jersey and other countries

​​​​​​​​​​​​Health agreements​

Jersey has reciprocal health agreements with a small number of countries. These are usually part of wider Social Security reciprocal agreements negotiated by the UK government. 

Their intention is to cover temporary visitors, particularly those on holiday. Each agreement provides some free health care, or health care at a lower cost, if you are taken ill. Generally, only the cost of urgent or emergency treatment is covered. Therefore, agreements cannot take the place of health travel insurance and you are advised to have insurance cover to meet the cost of any health care costs when travelling outside Jersey.  

The agreements allow visitors to a country to be treated the same as a resident in that country. If a resident pays for a particular treatment, so will the visitor. 

Most agreements only cover visitors for a limited period. This is often for temporary stays of up to three or six months and not if you are living or working in the other country. The host country will interpret the agreement according to their own policies and will decide what they consider to be emergency or urgent treatment. The agreements do not apply if you travel to the country deliberately seeking medical treatment.  

If you live in Jersey and are taken ill while visiting another country, you cannot claim a refund for medical bills from the States of Jersey.   

The cost of bringing a sick person back to Jersey (repatriation) is never covered under any of the health agreements. You will always need to pay for this yourself so check that your insurance covers this.  

To find out more about the health agreements with other countries, contact Customer and Local Services on +44 (0) 1534 444444.

UK and Jersey health agreement

Countries with reciprocal health agreements

These countries have reciprocal health agreements:

 Countries with reciprocal health agreements table

Back to top
rating button