Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

France and Jersey health agreement (Attestation Certificate)

​​About the Attestation Certificate

Jersey and France have a health agreement that helps to cover emergency medical treatment if you're admitted to hospital when visiting France. To get this cover you'll need an Attestation Certificate.

​An Attestation Certificate covers you for 80% of the cost of emergency in-patient treatment during a stay in France of less than three months.

Who can get an Attestation Certificate

You can get an Attestation Certificate if you're a Jersey resident and:

  • over 16 and either you or your spouse or partner have a Jersey, British or French passport
  • under 16 and your parent or guardian has a Jersey, British or French passport (if you're under 16 your parent or guardian will have to apply for a certificate on your behalf)

Taking out medical insurance

You should still take out medical insurance when you travel. The Attestation Certificate only covers you for 80% of any emergency in-patient treatment. You must pay the remaining 20%.

Treatment which is not covered by the Attestation Certificate

The following is not covered by an Attestation Certificate:

  • 20% of the cost of emergency in-patient treatment in France
  • emergency in-patient treatment during a stay in France of more than three months
  • emergency in-patient treatment anywhere else in the world
  • outpatient medical emergency cost
  • ambulance travel
  • prescribed medicines
  • GP costs
  • repatriation of remains
  • trip cancellation
  • accidental death, injury or disablement benefit
  • overseas funeral expenses
  • lost, stolen, damaged or delayed luggage or personal effects
  • missed travel connections
  • travel delays for any reason
  • emergency evacuation

How long you're covered for

The Attestation Certificate is valid for 12 months from the date you obtain it.  You can take it on as many visits to France as you need in those 12 months, up to a maximum of a three month stay in any one visit.

After the 12 month period you'll need to apply for a new certificate.

If you already have an Attestation Certificate

As long as your certificate is still within the 12 month period from the date of issue or date of renewal, your certificate is still valid and can be used while travelling in France.

The previous Attestation Certificates could be renewed each year up to five years, however this will no longer be continued. Once your existing certificate is coming up to the 12 month period from the date of issue of date of renewal, you’ll need to apply for a new certificate by completing our online form.

If you can't find your existing Attestation Certificate

If you can't find your existing certificate, you can apply for and get a new certificate by completing our online form.

How to get an Attestation Certificate

You can apply for your Attestation Certificate by completing our online form:

Apply for an Attestation Certificate
Back to top
rating button