Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Driving in Europe

​​​Items you should have with you

If you are going to drive in Europe, you should make sure that you have in your car with you at all times:

  • your full driving licence (make sure it is not provisional and is still valid)
  • the original vehicle registration document
  • your motor insurance certificate / windscreen insurance disc
  • your passport
  • an oval plate or sticker with the letters GBJ on the vehicle (relying on the letters GBJ beneath the Jersey badge on your number plate is not enough)
  • a warning triangle
  • a reflective jacket / waistcoat for driver and every passenger
  • a self-test breathalyser

Riders on any two-wheeled vehicle must wear a crash helmet which displays reflective stickers on the front, rear and sides, and have a reflective jacket to wear in an emergency or breakdown.

You must also wear CE-certified gloves if you are the driver or passenger of a: 

  • moped
  • motorcycle
  • motor tricycle
  • motor quadricycle

​The police in most European countries may apply on the spot fines if you're driving without compulsory equipment in your vehicle.​

The emergency services number in Europe is 112.

Crit'Air clean air stickers

In 2017, France introduced 'clean air' windscreen stickers. These are a legal requirement for travelling with your vehicle to their major cities and help to identify a vehicle’s emissions levels.

Visit the RAC site to find out more about this requirement and how to apply online for a sticker.

Items you shouldn't use

The use of radar detectors is forbidden in most countries in Europe.

Many countries also demand the deactivation of GPS navigation system facilities that show the location of fixed speed cameras.

The use of hand-held mobile phones is also forbidden in many countries.

The AA website has additional information.

International Driving Permits (IDPs)​​

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is recommended for certain countries.

You'll need an IDP alongside your Jersey driving licence.

For more information, including h​ow to apply, visit the Parishes website.

Back to top
rating button