Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Storm Ciarán: advice and updates

Travel with care

  • Islanders are advised to take care when travelling, there is still debris on the roads. 

  • For help and advice call + 44 (0) 1534 444444.

​Storm Ciarán recovery

All Islanders should take care when travelling. 

If you need help or advice call + 44 (0) 1534 444444

Weather forecast

Schools and colleges

Most schools and colleges reopened on Monday 6 November. 

The schools that remain affected due to storm damage are:

  • Samarès School
  • Hautlieu School

Road closures

Many roads are still closed, check our interactive map to stay updated.

Road closures map

Sport facilities

Government sporting facilities are open.


Keep up to date with the latest travel information on:

Stay up to date

There's a few ways to stay up to date:

Tree advice

You can check whether a tree is protected using our protected tree search.

If the tree is protected, you can remove fallen branches but you should contact us for advice:

For non-protected trees, contact a tree surgeon or your insurer. 

Planning and building advice

Key information for Islanders during the clean up
  • removing debris and making buildings safe will not require permission
  • most repair works to buildings and some replacement works will not require planning and building permission and these are listed below
  • re-building structures and complete demolition are likely to require permission and officers are on hand to provide advice on how to apply and timescales for obtaining permission
More information can be found at Planning and building permission

How to get advice 

You can speak to our Duty Planning and Building Officers between 9am and 5pm:

Listed buildings 

If your property is listed, you’ll need advice for repairs, replacement or re-building. 
Contact us for advice, and we will liaise with officers from the Historic Environment Team to ensure you receive appropriate advice. The below mentioned works are for non-listed properties. 

Domestic properties

Repairs on non-listed domestic properties that do not require permission are listed below. If the damage is beyond repair or not listed below, contact our team for advice as some replacements and re-building may not require permission.

Make sure that your ‘permitted development’ rights have not been removed by a condition on a previous planning permission before carrying out any work.

  • Roof repairs: permission is not required for minor roof repairs such as replacing limited missing slates or tiles
  • Chimneys: permission is not required to repair existing chimneys on a like for like basis. In instances where structural repair to a chimney may be required, ask us for advice 
  • Rainwater goods: permission is not required for replacement of rainwater goods such as gutters, fascia boards, downpipes in any material
  • Replacement glazing, windows and doors: permission is not required for replacement windows, doors, and glazing in any material provided work is carried out by a FENSA registered installer
  • Awnings: permission is not required if an existing awning has been damaged and is to be re-erected in the same location
  • Sheds and domestic greenhouses: permission is not required to re-assemble existing sheds and green houses in the same location, or to repair damaged roofs or panels. Damaged domestic greenhouses and sheds may be demolished without permission
  • Fences and garden walls: permission is not required to re-erect existing fallen or loose fence panels. Permission is not required for replacement fence panels or walls if it is located more than 2m from a public road and less than 2m in height (height taken from ground level 1m either side). Closer than 2m to a public road, permission not required where less than 900mm in height and do not alter the vehicular access

Commercial properties 

Repairs on non-listed commercial properties such as offices, industrial and retail premises that do not require permission are listed below. If the damage is beyond repair or not mentioned below, contact our team for advice:

  • roof repairs: permission is not required for minor roof repairs such as replacing limited missing slates, tiles or roof cladding or panels
  • rainwater goods: permission is not required for replacement of rainwater goods such as gutters, fascia boards, downpipes in any material
  • replacement glazing, windows and doors: glazing can be replaced with no permissions, however please contact us for advice related to anything over and above this

Agricultural land

Repairs to livestock shelters and fencing on agricultural land that do not require permission is listed below. 

  • Livestock shelter: permission is not required to re-assemble existing livestock shelter in same location or replace part of a shelter such as a missing panel
  • Fence: permission is not required to re-assemble existing post and rail agricultural fence


Removing debris and clearing up may include the removal of building material that has been damaged beyond repair. Removing part of a building is demolition. Permission is not required for the removal of any part of a building in order to make it safe. Once the building is made safe, further demolition of a permanent dwelling in order to re-build is likely to require permission, contact our team for advice. 

Structural damage 

If your property has suffered more severe structural damage, we strongly advise seeking the opinion of a property surveyor or structural engineer before entering or trying to collect belongings.

For properties that may be considered to be in a dangerous condition, contact the Building Standards team for advice, call +44 (0) 1534 445508 or email

Support from non-Jersey construction businesses

Construction businesses from outside of Jersey will now be able to operate on the Island for a period of 30 days without a business licence. This has been extended from 5 days, following a Ministerial Order signed by Assistant Chief Minister, Deputy Lucy Stephenson.

This short-term change permits construction businesses to operate in Jersey without a business licence until 3 December 2023. It will allow local businesses and individuals to engage off-Island construction workers to carry out emergency repairs to buildings and roofs, where the demand for services and support is very high.

Beware of scammers

Construction businesses are not allowed to go door-to-door, find business or sell their services whilst in Island. Residents should not be directly approached by businesses to offer their services. Any businesses doing so should be reported to the Business Hub Compliance Unit on +44 (0) 1534 444444 or by email to

Islanders are requested to verify contractors' credentials, avoid paying up-front, and have everything confirmed in writing. We also advise to check online for customer comments.

Useful contact numbers

  • Customer and Local Services: +44 (0) 1534 444444
  • Planning and Building: +44 (0) 1534 445508
  • Jersey Electricity: +44 (0) 1534 505050
  • Island Energy: +44 (0) 1534 755555 
  • Jersey Water: +44 (0) 1534 707302
  • Andium: +44 (0) 1534 500799

Duty Centeniers

  • St Martin: 07797 717799 
  • St Mary: 07797 712972 
  • St Ouen: 07797 724901 
  • St Peter: 07797 720111 
  • St Saviour: 07797 716661 
  • Trinity: 07797 712460 
  • St Helier: 07829 722227 
  • St Brelade: +44 (0) 1534 741175 
  • St Clement: 07797 711392 
  • Grouville: 07797 710321 
  • St John: 07797 758086  
  • St Lawrence: 07797 715602

In an emergency, contact emergency services on 999.

Mental health support

Find information, advice and support on all aspects of mental health on the Mental Health Network.

Back to top
rating button