Cold weather payments
If you receive Income Support, you may be entitled to receive a cold weather payment from the Social Security Department.
The payment is made to any household receiving Income Support that also includes one or more of the following:
- someone over 65 years old
- a child under the age of three
- someone with a significant disability, who also receives level three of the personal care element
Payments are made automatically between November and May if the average temperature drops below a certain level. The value of the payment depends on the average temperature in the previous month.
There is no need to apply for them separately. They are paid in the same way as regular Income Support payments. For most people this is directly into their bank account.
Cold Weather Bonus
This benefit is specifically aimed at pensioners and is closely related to the Food Costs Bonus.
The payment is made to pensioners who:
- are aged 65 or over
- are in receipt of a Jersey Social Security pension
- are eligible for the Food Costs Bonus
- own or rent their own accommodation
Food Costs Bonus and Cold Weather Bonus