Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Import and export of horses

Travel between Jersey and the EU

Entering the EU 

Specific equine health certificates have been agreed. It's a requirement for all equines to travel to the EU with an Export Health Certificate and enter the EU via a Border Control Post (BCP). You'll need an agent in the EU to notify the BCP on your behalf and ensure that customs notifications are also made.

There may also be a requirement for additional blood tests to be carried out within 30 days of travel to the EU. Total preparation time may take up to 6 weeks.

You'll need additional welfare in transport authorisations in order to transport within the EU and for unregistered horses, you may need a journey log issued in the destination country. Please see the guidance below. 

Bringing a horse into Jersey

It's a requirement for all equines to travel to Jersey with a British Export Health Certificate and meet all the requirements of the General Licence issued by the Minister for the Environment. The General Licence may be reviewed from time to time and the condition altered so each time a horse is imported the importer must ensure they have the most update version to accompany the horse when imported and will be available on this web page.

Categories of horse moves

Definitive import or export: This option is for consignments intended to be placed under the customs procedure ‘release for free circulation’ in the destination jurisdiction. This is the only option for unregistered horses.

For registered horses there are 2 options:

  • re-entry: Only use this option for animals authorised for re-entry, such as registered horses for racing, competition and cultural events re-entering after their temporary export (less than 30 days)
  • temporary admission: Only use this option for animals authorised for temporary moves, such as registered horses for a period of less than 90 days
Exporting to the EU

This includes both to Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

All horses, ponies and donkeys need to have: 

  • a valid horse passport with a completed Section IX 
  • been certified by an official veterinarian (OV) for export, who has seen the passport
  • a valid export health certificate
  • a supplementary document issued by the OV in the case of unregistered horses
  • a welfare declaration, special rules for horses and ponies on GOV.UK
  • declaration by Captain / Master of the ship / aircraft and attached to the health certificate

Customs process

If this is a definitive export your agent who manages the BCP procedures for the health checks will also need to make a normal customs entry using the Import Control System (ICS). 

For Temporary Imports it's possible to use an ATA carnet (the carte vert) this must be obtained in advance of entry. For these temporary exports, the customs process (leaving the EU and entering Jersey) is also covered by the ATA carnet.

Health certificate

Exporters apply to Natural Environment for an export health certificate by completing and returning the application form, allowing 10 working days for processing. It's intended to get the export health certificates to your certifying official veterinarian 5 days before export.

It's recommended before you submit the application form you check with your certifying official veterinarian you have completed the application form correctly and your vet is able to carry any required work in time for the export.

The fee for each export health certificate is £67.

The premises of origin and destination must be registered, an application won't be accepted without this information.

Ensure that a premises application is submitted for any premises which aren't registered at least 5 working days in advance of any application for a health certificate.

 Export health certificate application form 

Guidance notes to help complete the export health certificate on the GOV.UK website 

Importing from the EU 

This includes horse imports from the Republic of Ireland.

You need a passport and the relevant health certificate. The EU vet will issue 1 of the following:

  1. for re-entry horses. GBHC167E
  2. for registered horses GBHC168E
  3. for unregistered horses. GBHC169E

Equine health certificates on the GOV.UK website

In some cases, blood sampling is required so you need to discuss this in advance with your EU vet.

You'll need to supply your EU vet with your customs declaration number for completion of the certificate for entry to Jersey. This replaces the need for the UNN number required for GB imports.

Horses General Licence

To avoid unnecessary delays on entry you should make your customs entry in advance.

You must complete the online notification form a minimum of one working day* prior to scheduled arrival into Jersey.

Online notification form

working day, means any day, other than:

  • a Saturday or Sunday
  • Christmas Day or Good Friday
  • a day that is a public holiday 

The CAESAR pre-arrival declaration guide provides information for imports from outside the UK, Guernsey and Isle of Man and how to create a declaration on CAESAR.


Travelling with a trailer or horse box in the EU

If you're travelling in the EU with a trailer or horse box, please refer to the driving in Europe information.

You'll need additional Welfare in Transport authorisations, refer to the guidance on transporting animals on the GOV.UK website

You should also contact the authorities in the country you're going to and any countries you are transiting to find out what the welfare during transport requirements are.  


If you import a horse for long-term personal use, you are liable for GST. Contact Customs and Excise for relevant forms and fees.

Importing unaccompanied personal goods and paying customs duties

Movements between Jersey and Guernsey

To travel to Guernsey a general licence to import is available, contact the Guernsey Commerce and Employment Department on +44 (0) 1481 234567.

Movement from Guernsey to Jersey is not restricted, no licence is required. A valid equine passport is always required for travel.  

Movements between Jersey and Great Britain  

A valid equine passport is always required for travel.  

UK authorities (DEFRA) advise that you can contact them. You can apply for a horse passport online on the GOV.UK website.

Movements between Jersey and non-EU Countries (Third Countries)

Contact the Department of the Environment. These horses will need to enter via a BCP in GB and would need to meet the UK’s import conditions.

Back to top
rating button