Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Right of abode: living permanently in the UK

​About right of abode

Right of abode means the right to live permanently in the United Kingdom (UK) without any immigration restrictions. 

The ‘United Kingdom’ includes:

  • Great Britain
  • Northern Ireland
  • Channel Islands
  • Isle of Man

Certificate of entitlement to the right of abode

A certificate of entitlement to the right of abode is proof of your right to live and work here.

You’ll only be given a certificate if you have the right of abode but don't ​have a way of proving it (eg you don’t have a UK passport or ID card showing you are a British citizen or subject).

Applying for a certificate

If you live in Jersey, you must apply to the UK Visas and Immigration for a certificate of entitlement.

A certificate of entitlement is put in your current passport. When your passport expires, your certificate also expires. You must apply for a new one in the same way.

UK application form ROA on the Gov.UK website

UK guidance notes on the Gov.UK website

Back to top
rating button