23 March 2016
The Department for Infrastructure is refurbishing Sand Street car park, starting on 29 March.
In order to keep this popular shopper car park open as much as possible, the refurbishment is being programmed in phases, with a few floors at a time being worked on.
As well as repairs to extend the life of the car park, improvements will also be made to the car park. these include
- more undercover bicycle parking
- the number and size of parent and child parking bays will be doubled from four to eight and located together on the fourth floor
- bigger disabled parking bays
- new lighting and safety fence panels
- waterproofed and coloured floors
- other concrete surfaces (walls, stairwells etc) will be cleaned, inspected, repaired and repainted
The project will run over a 22-week period. During Phase 1, taking four weeks, levels 1, 11 and 12 will be closed to the public. Shopmobility will relocate to Pier Road car park for one week from the 2 April.
Following that, work will continue, closing off three levels at a time. Signs will be in place providing drivers with clear indication of access and exit routes.
Additional shopper parking is being provided on the ground floor of Pier Road car park (59 spaces) and the Esplanade (75 spaces).
This project is being carried out as part of the Department for Infrastructure public car park maintenance programme to extend the life of the car park and provide a better customer experience.