Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

More foreign driving licences accepted for exchange in future

03 October 2017

The Minister for Infrastructure, Deputy Eddie Noel, has asked for the necessary law changes to be made to enable Jersey to accept the same foreign driving licences as the UK for exchange to a Jersey licence.

Once the law has been changed, driving licence holders from EU countries, Andorra, Canada, Faroe Islands, Republic of Korea, South Africa and Zimbabwe will be able to exchange their licences for a Jersey one. Consultations are also underway with the Cayman Islands.

This will reduce the red tape for new residents settling in the Island, who are often partners of Jersey residents or essentially employed people, by removing the need to sit a Jersey theory and practical driving test in order to obtain a Jersey licence. 

The jurisdictions with which Jersey currently has an exchange agreement are: The UK, Alderney, Australia, Austria, Barbados, Belgium, British Columbia, British Virgin Islands, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Falkland Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Hong Kong, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, and Switzerland. 

This new measure will bring Jersey into line with the other Crown Dependencies (Guernsey, Isle of Man and Gibraltar) who all do the same.

Anyone coming to live or work in Jersey from a jurisdiction that does not have an exchange agreement with Jersey, who intend to stay for more than 12 months, must immediately obtain a Jersey provisional driving licence and take the prescribed theory and practical driving tests for each category required.

Once the law change has been made, exchanges of eligible licences will happen at the holder’s local Parish Hall.

Back to top
rating button