Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Change of residential use (permissions)

​Planning permission

You will need planning permission to change your home in any of the following ways:

  • change of use of a building previously used as a single dwelling house to 2 or more separate dwelling houses or flats
  • change of use of 2 or more premises previously used as 2 separate dwelling houses or flats to a single dwelling house 
  • change of use of a building or part of a building previously used as a dwelling house for short term holiday lettings 
  • change of use to create a time sharing scheme in respect of building on the land
  • change of use of a non-domestic building to domestic use

Building permission

You will need building permission if you want to change the use of a building:

  • to a house
  • to a flat
  • the building, which contains at least 1 dwelling, contains a greater or lesser number of dwellings than it did previously

When a material change of use takes place, the building, or affected part, may need to be upgraded to satisfy certain important parts of the building bye-laws, including:

  • fire safety
  • ventilation provision
  • energy conservation
  • structure
  • weather resistance
  • fire spread 
  • sound insulation

To change the use of a building for commercial purposes refer to our commercial and other development section.

Commercial and other development

Back to top
rating button