Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Changes in circumstances (income tax)

Your income is changing

If you're employed, you must let us know if you:

  • were previously unemployed or only working part time and are going into full time employment
  • are increasing or reducing the hours you're working
  • are changing to a job with a different salary
  • are taking on additional work (eg part time, casual earnings or self-employment)

Changes in income may affect your tax rate. 

​The earlier you advise us the sooner we can make an adjustment and ensure you're not left with a shortfall in your tax bill.

You can also use this online form if you just need another copy of your existing effective rate.

We will need to have received your most recent tax return before you ask us to update your rate.

Request a replacement tax effective rate

Leaving Jersey

If you're leaving Jersey and you're not returning in that calendar year, you can use our online form to let us know.

Leaving the Island

Income from Jersey after you leave

The following income is still taxable in Jersey if you are a non-resident:

  • Jersey property income
  • Jersey employment income
  • Jersey occupational or private pension income

You may be able to make a claim to have the pension income exempted in Jersey, but only if there is a tax agreement with the country you live in.

The following income is exempt from tax in Jersey if you are a non-resident:

  • Jersey old age pension (paid by Social Security)
  • Jersey bank interest

Tax and your pension income: living abroad

Non-residency for tax purposes

If you have a home available for your use

If you maintain a place of abode in Jersey which is available for your own use, you'll be regarded as resident for any year in which you stay in that property, even if it is only for one night.

Paying tax on a current year basis

If you pay tax on a current year basis, the ITIS rate you have been paying will have gone towards your expected current tax bill. 

However, this amount will still need to be finalised so you will need to complete a tax return for the relevant year.

Paying​ tax on a previous year basis

If you pay tax on a previous year basis you might have a balance to pay from the previous year. 

You may also have a bill from any income you receive in the year you leave, which you'll need to pay.

Returning to Jersey

If you're returning to Jersey after an extended absence, you will need to re-register to update your details. Complete the form and send it to Revenue Jersey.

Personal Tax registration form

Change in contact details

Update your contact details with Government departments.

Marriage or civil partnerships

If you get married or register a civil partnership, you need to tell us.

Tell us you're married or in a civil partnership

Dependant children

You can claim a tax allowance if you have a dependant child. If you are paying for child care to a registered provider you can also claim a deduction. 

Children and tax relief

Childcare tax relief


If you're married or in a civil partnership and you separate (ie you are living separate lives), then you must let us know in writing.

You'll only be taxed on your own income from the date of separation.

Tell us about separating from your spouse or civil partner

Child allowance and separation

If you have children through marriage or a civil partnership, you may both be entitled to claim the tax child allowance. Only one full allowance per child can be claimed. 

If both of you are still in Jersey and you need the allowance for tax purposes, you should give us a copy of the written agreement which states how you want to share the allowance.

Claiming tax relief for your dependent child

Maintenance payments

If you're permanently separated and one person is paying maintenance to another, we will need to see a legally binding maintenance agreement to give a tax deduction to the person paying the maintenance. 

Maintenance received on an agreement made after 1997 is not taxable.

Maintenance relief for income tax


If you're retiring, contact us for advice as you may still be paying tax on a previous year basis where any ITIS payments you're making in the current year are being set off against last year's tax bill.

We can help you prepare for future tax bill by:

  • ​​increasing your effective rate while you're working to accelerate payments in the years before retirement
  • setting up a direct debit when you retire to replace the ITIS deduction

Self employed individuals

If you're self-employed, you won't pay tax under the ITIS system. You must pay in full by cheque or set up a direct debit to pay the instalments by the due date.​

Planning income tax payments around your retirement


If you're a family member or the personal representative of a family, you should inform us of the death soon as you can to avoid any unnecessary tax bills or letters being addressed to the deceased person.

Tax information for dealing with a deceased person's estate


If you want to get any tax information about the person who has died, you must get legal recognition first. This means getting a grant of probate document or, if there is no will, letters of administration.

We'll need to see the original documents which we will copy and return to you. If you don't have this legal recognition, you should contact the Judicial Greffe Probate Registry for further advice

Judicial Greffe Probate Registry (government and administration section)​​

Other changes in your circumstances

If you think something not listed here may affect your tax, let us know by contacting Revenue Jersey.

Back to top
rating button