Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Married persons tax information

‚ÄčRegistering your marriage with the taxes office

When you marry you will need to complete the notification form and send it to us with a copy of the marriage certificate.

Marriage notification form for tax

How tax works for married couples

Jersey law brings your income together to calculate your tax and there are different tax thresholds available for a married couple.

Allowances, reliefs and deductions for tax

In the year of marriage

Your spouse's income is taken into account from the date of your marriage and if you're employed you'll need a joint effective tax rate.

You can't opt out of both your incomes being taken into account to calculate your tax. However, you may elect for separate assessments which allows autonomy and privacy in dealing with your tax affairs.

Separate assessments for married couples and civil partnerships

There is no tax advantage or disadvantage to being separately assessed, the tax calculation is still based on both your incomes and the any married tax deductions that may be available.


If you separate you will need to let us know as there are tax consequences. Your tax will be calculated individually from the date of separation and your effective tax rate may also need re-calculating.

Tell us about separating from your spouse or civil partner

Back to top
rating button