Growth, Housing and Environment administers a scheme to provide free bus travel for Jersey residents living with a prescribed long-term disability which limits the travel options available to them.
Those eligible can benefit from free travel on any LibertyBus service by obtaining the AvanchiAccess pass.
You will qualify if you:
- have a disability which meets the qualifying criteria, and
- are ordinarily resident in Jersey, having lived in the Island for at least five years, and
- are aged 5 or above but are not entitled to an older person’s concessionary bus pass
The qualifying criteria are listed below, and can also be found in the brochure and application form.
AvanchiAccess scheme brochure
AvanchiAccess application form
The application form can be printed out and filled in. The form is also available from Liberation Station, parish halls, Customer and Local Services, community and voluntary organisations, and your doctor’s surgery.
These have been set as:
- sight impaired and severely sight impaired, such that the condition prevents you from driving
- severely or profoundly deaf, to the extent that the condition prevents you from driving
- being in receipt of mobility component and/or long-term care benefit and/or personal care level 3
- mental health issues to a degree that prevents you from driving
- a learning disability to a degree that prevents you from driving
- progressive degenerative condition, which prevents you from driving
- you would be refused a licence to drive or your licence has been withdrawn based on medical grounds
- walking difficulties to a degree that impacts your mobility and ability to drive
- Seizures causing loss of consciousness or altered consciousness (including epilepsy)
How to apply
Once the application form has been completed, and then signed by an appropriate person to confirm that you qualify, you will need to take it to the LibertyBus Customer Service Centre at Liberation Station. Passes will be issued within 48 hours of the application being made. You can apply at any time throughout the duration of the scheme.
If you would like your pass posted to you, allow five days after making your application.
Travel pass cost and validity
AvanchiAccess can be used on LibertyBus services at any time of the day. There is an issue charge of £15 per pass. If a pass is lost or damaged, a replacement fee of £5 will be payable. Passes are issued for a duration of five years, and can be renewed at any time prior to expiry.
No companion passes
The pilot scheme does not include free travel for companions.
Passes will not be issued for a short-term disability. The scheme has been established to meet the needs of those with long term or permanent, chronic conditions only.