Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Exporting or shipping goods

​​​​​​​​​​​​​Cars and household goods​

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) gives full information on exporting or shipping cars and household goods to the UK.​

Relevant information from HMRC Notice 3 can be found in: 

  • section 3​: how to​​ ​go through Customs
  • section 4.​1: personal effects imported into the UK (form C3)
  • section 4.1: te​m​porary import relief of VAT for personal effects
  • section 4.3: temporary impor​tation of vehicles into the UK

Notice 3: bringing your belongings, pets and private motor vehicles to UK from outside the EU on GOV.UK website

Exporting personal items from Jersey

We need a written inventory for any personal household items that you're exporting. Certain items are prohibited, restricted or subject to licensing restrictions. 

Customs guidance on the exportation of household effects

Exporting endangered animals and animal products

You must have a valid Convention of International Trade of Endangered Species (CITES) licence to import:

  • live animals, birds and plants
  • goods made from them, eg jewellery, shoes, bags and belts (even if they were openly on sale in the countries where you bought them)
  • ivory and coral
  • shells taken from endangered animals
  • crocodile, alligator and snake skin taken from endangered animals

You can get advice from the States Veterinary Officer at the Department of the Environment.

Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species (CITES)

Exporting freight from Jersey to and across Europe

We adhere to Community / Common Transit procedures to supervise the movement of goods between the EU and EFTA countries.

If you are exporting freight from Jersey to or across Europe, a transit document may be required. 

If goods change transportation, then you might also need a multiple transit document. We issue transit documents and these should accompany the goods for the duration of transit. A​ 25% security bond may also be required.

If you need a transit document, you should contact Jersey Customs and Immigration on 
​+44 (0) 1534 448088 to receive an application form. 

You need to give at least 24 hours' notice before you leave so we can create your document for you.

Restricted items which can't be exported from Jersey

A valid licence is required for the following:

  • cultural goods relevant to the Channel Islands, the UK or EU, like paintings, furniture or silverware
  • toxins​ 
  • military goods
  • explosives and fireworks
  • indecent and obscene material

The document below forms​ the legal basis of most, but not all, restrictions on exported goods. Contact us for more information.

Customs and Excise (Import and Export Control) (Jersey) Order 2006 on Jersey Law website


Open General Export Licence

​VAT advice on moving personal belongings from Jersey to the UK

​For VAT advice on​ moving personal belongings from Jersey to the UK, use the link below​.

Moving goods to the UK on GOV.UK website ​

Declaring third country exports

If you are shipping goods directly to a Third Country, which will include the EU member states once the Brexit transition period has ended, an Export Declaration will be required.

Indirect exports going through the UK will require a Tariff Code to be presented to the Carrier / Shipping Agent before the goods are shipped.

Step-by-step guide to third country exports

Back to top
rating button