Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species (CITES)


The Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species (CITES) is an international agreement between governments. It aims to ensure that international trade of some wild animals and plants does not threaten their survival. Jersey is a signatory to CITES through the UK government.

CITES website

International trade of some selected species of wild animals and plants is subject to certain controls. This is because the levels of exploitation is bringing some species close to extinction. In Jersey these controls are covered by the Endangered Species (CITES) (Jersey) Law 2012.

The trade ranges from live animals and plants to many wildlife products derived from them including:

  • food products
  • exotic leather goods
  • wooden musical instruments
  • timber
  • rare and unusual items for tourists (often derived from protected or endangered species)
  • medicines

You need to have a permit for any species covered by CITES that you want to:

  • import
  • export
  • re-export
  • introduce from the sea

In Jersey the permit system is administered by the Department of the Environment.

Apply for a permit or certificate

You must apply for the correct permit or certificate if you want to import or export wild animals or plants listed under CITES. This includes a species, a part or derivative of an animal or plant. Contact us if you would like us to check the list for you.

You need a permit for CITES listed specimens moving:

  • between the Channel Islands
  • to and from the UK
  • to and from the EU or the rest of the world

If you move a specimen without the correct permit, even by mistake, the receiving country may seize it.

Application form

Complete the application form and email it Natural Environment Group. Allow 3 weeks for your application to be processed.

Application for a Permit under the Endangered Species (CITES) (Jersey) Law 2012


The fees below include GST and apply to all types of permit or certificate:

  • import or export permit
  • re-export certificate
  • introduction from the sea certificate
  • certificate of origin
  • certificate of captive breeding
  • certificate of artificial propagation
  • pre-convention certificate
  • travelling exhibition certificate

Issuance Replacement, alteration or condition revocation

You need to pay the issuance fee for each application for either a single specimen or any number of specimens as long as they:

  • are of the same species (in the case of animals other than corals) or genus (in the case of plants and corals)
  • have the same source code and purpose code
  • are to be transported between the same importer and exporter
  • form part of 1 travelling exhibition (only for travelling exhibitions)

CITES guidance notes on fees

Waiving the fees

You can apply for the fees to be waived for your permit or certificate. You'll need to demonstrate that the purpose of your animal or plant move is likely to bring conservation benefits to the species.

You'll need to apply for your fees to be waived before applying for your permit or certificate. Complete the application form and email it to Natural Environment Group.

Fee waiving application for CITES certificates or permits​

Back to top
rating button