Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

Commercial pet movements to Jersey from the EU or the rest of the world


Travelling between Jersey and the UK, Isle of Man and other Channel Islands

Declaration of special measures

You must have an import licence for commercial imports of dogs, cats or ferrets into Jersey originating or being sent from:

  • Belarus
  • Poland
  • Romania
  • Ukraine

These countries present a high risk of rabies transmission.

The special measures do not apply for imports of non-commercial pets.

If you want to import from these country, or a pet from Ukraine via another EU country, contact the Animal Health and Welfare Team.

Find more information on the import requirements.

Declaration of special measures for Belarus, Poland, Romania and Ukraine​​

What are commercial movements

When you bring a pet dog, cat or ferret to live in Jersey from the EU or the rest of the world, the movement is considered commercial if the animal:

  • is not travelling within 5 days of its owner
  • changes ownership once in Jersey
  • is resold or rescued in Jersey
  • travels to Jersey with someone else other than its owner. This includes friends or family members bringing your pet to Jersey for you

If your movement is considered commercial you need to follow some requirements that are different from non-commercial movements.

For non-commercial movements or movements from other jurisdictions:

Bringing your dog, cat or ferret to Jersey from the EU or the rest of the world

Travelling with dogs, cats or ferrets between Jersey and the UK, Isle of Man and other Channel Islands


For commercial movements of pet dogs, cats and ferrets into Jersey you need to:

  • meet the requirements for bringing pets to Jersey from the EU or the rest of the world
  • have a licence to import commercial animals. You don't not need a licence to import if the consignment originates from the Republic of Ireland but all the other requirements still apply
  • have a British Export Health Certificate. This is issued by the authorities in the country of origin and it must be signed by an authorised vet. Your certificate must accompany your pet during transport
  • have a UNN number for imports from the EU, including for imports from the Republic of Ireland. The number is issued by the Animal Health and Welfare Team. You'll need to provide this to the competent authorities and the number will need to be entered on the British Export Health Certificate, in box 1.2a UNN
  • if applicable, declare your import and pay GST
  • only for pets coming from the EU, complete the notification of import form

If your pet enters the UK or EU before coming to Jersey you must also meet the requirements of the country of arrival.

If your pet is travelling from a country outside the EU you must make sure it enters through a Border Control Post in the country of arrival.

Bringing your pet dog, cat or ferret to Great Britain on GOV.UK

Animal entry into the EU from third countries or territories on European Commission

Customs declaration and import notification

Goods and Services Tax (GST)

You may need to pay GST if the total import cost exceeds the personal allowance. This includes the cost of:

  • the pet
  • freight
  • insurances

If your pet is free, for example a rescue dog or cat, you need to get your pet valued for customs purposes. If your pet do not have a specific breed you should research the value of a similar breed is usually sold for. For more information email or call +44 (0) 1534 448000.

Importing unaccompanied personal goods and paying customs duties

Notification of import

Once you have declared your import you must complete the notification form below at least 1 working day before the animal's arrival in Jersey. 

You only need to complete this form if the animal is coming from the EU.

Notification form for the movement of animals into Jersey

Dog licences

All dogs aged 6 months or older must be licensed under the Dogs (Jersey) Law 1961. You can purchase dog licences from your parish.

You don't need a dog licence for a dog kept and used solely as a guide dog by a blind or a deaf person.

Buying a dog licence

Dogs not allowed in Jersey

It's illegal to bring certain types of dogs into Jersey. Your dog may be seized if it displays characteristics represented by those on the banned list.

Dogs not allowed in Jersey

Buying pets online

There is a lot to consider when buying pets online:

  • get an animal that is suitable for you and your lifestyle
  • try to meet the animal before making any commitments
  • beware of false descriptions
  • consult your vet in advance

Buying animals online

Back to top
rating button