Travelling to Europe with commercial trailers
If you're taking a trailer from Jersey to Europe, you must register it with DVS before it travels through any of the countries listed below, and carry the registration document with it, if:
it has a maximum gross weight of more than 3,500kg
it's a commercial trailer* with a maximum gross weight of more than 750kg
You will not need to register trailers that operate solely in Jersey or the United Kingdom.
* Commercial trailers are used for the transport of goods or passengers' belongings for commercial purposes, such as transport for hire and reward or own-account transport, or for other professional purposes.
Travelling to Europe with horse trailers, caravans or non-commercial trailers
There's no legal requirement to register a horse trailer, caravan or other non-commercial trailer with a maximum weight of less than 3,500kg, and there is only a small risk of enforcement action by the authorities in other jurisdictions, but you can still choose to register your trailer with DVS.
Registering a trailer
Registration, which costs £32, lasts for the trailer's lifetime. You can register it using an online application form or a paper form.
Online application form
- application form which includes a digital signature and declaration of ownership
- DVS will contact you to arrange your appointment to take the trailer to DVS at La Collette
Paper application form
- application to register a motor-drawn trailer (copies are available at DVS and can be completed by the trailer's owner during inspection)
- contact DVS on 01534 448600 or by email to arrange your appointment to take the trailer to DVS at La Collette
At the inspection
The appointment will take around 30 minutes at La Collette. You'll need:
- to take your trailer so the chassis number can be checked
- proof of ownership if available (the application form includes a declaration of ownership)
- your driving licence or other proof of ID (trailers can be registered to limited companies, in which case the proof of ownership is not required)
- to pay £32 by card, cheque or cash
The registration document
will be posted to your address a few days after registration.
The trailer registration plate
Once you have received the registration document, get a registration plate.
It should be the same as a standard rear number plate (though the number will have the prefix of JT instead of J and does not need to be illuminated).
Display the trailer's registration number:
- at the rear of the trailer
- so that it is clearly visible
- as far away from the towing vehicle's plate as possible, but in addition to the registration number of the pulling vehicle
If this is not possible, DVS will advise you where the plate should be located.
Travelling in Europe without registering your trailer
It is an offence to travel to Europe with an unregistered commercial trailer. If you do not register your trailer and attempt to travel to Europe, you could be stopped in Jersey and prevented from making your journey. You could also be fined up to £200.
If you travel in Europe without your commercial trailer being registered there is the possibility that you will be stopped and prosecuted by the authorities. This could mean being unable to continue your journey, receiving a fine or having your trailer taken off the road.
Selling or scrapping your trailer
You can transfer ownership the same way as you would a car, by completing the transfer of ownership section on the back of the registration document and submitting it to DVS.
The registration number will not be transferrable and will remain as long as the trailer is in use.
As with other kinds of vehicle, when a trailer is scrapped the registration document should be returned to DVS.
Countries which require trailer registration
The following countries in the EU, EEA and Europe have ratified the 1968 Vienna Convention and so require trailer registration, even if you are driving through them to reach other destinations
Bosnia and Herzegovina
- San Marino
You don't need to register trailers used in Spain, Cyprus or Malta.