Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.
Government of

Information and public services for the Island of Jersey

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Changing your vehicle's registration details

‚ÄčAll changes to vehicle registration particulars must be made by completing the relevant section(s) on the vehicle registration document (VRD 1).

Once you have completed the relevant sections, you should deliver the registration document (VRD 1) to Driver and Vehicle Standards (DVS). We must receive the  document within 7 days. 

Transferring ownership of a vehicle

If you have bought or sold a vehicle or changed ownership, then both the current owner and the new owner must complete the following sections of the registration document (VRD 1): 

  1. the current owner must sign declaration boxes 2 and 4 on the rear of the registration document and deliver part B to DVS
  2. the new owner must sign declaration boxes 1 and 3 on the rear of the registration document and deliver part A to DVS

Transferring ownership of a vehicle following death of registered owner

If deceased has a will then a grant of probate will be required. This allows someone to administer the personal property (moveable estate) held in Jersey for someone who has died.

If a valid will hasn't been left, you will need a grant of letters of administration.

Probate and letters of administration

To transfer ownership the executor or administrator of the estate will need to complete the process in points 1 and 2 above. As executor if transferring to yourself then you will need to sign all 4 boxes. 

The following additional documents will be required to complete the transfer:

  1. Grant of probate or Letters of Administration (original or certified true copy)
  2. Photographic Identification

Changing vehicle details (such as new paint colour, change of engine size etc.)

If you need to change any of the vehicle details that are shown on the front of your registration document (VRD 1) then you should:

  1. complete section 3 of part A on the rear of the document, noting the changes to the vehicle details 
  2. sign declaration box 1
  3. deliver the document to DVS

NOTE: If a new or replacement engine has been fitted, an invoice or proof of the engine's origin is required.  

Permanently exporting or scrapping a vehicle

If you are exporting or scrapping or breaking up your vehicle, then you should:

  1. complete the appropriate boxes in section 2 of part A on the rear of VRD 1 
  2. sign declaration box 1
  3. deliver the document to DVS 

Changing your name

If you still own the vehicle but need to change your name (for example if you have got married) or the address that is shown on VRD 1 then you should:

  1. complete section 1 of part A on the rear of the document by filling in your new name or address
  2. sign declaration box 1
  3. deliver the document to DVS along with evidence of the name change, for example marriage certificate, deed poll etc

Replacement registration document

If you require a replacement vehicle registration document you will need to complete a VRD 3 form and either deliver it to DVS in person or by email/post.

Replacement vehicle registration form

Update your contact details

Update your contact details with Government departments.

Back to top
rating button