Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
This website is not compatible with your web browser. You should install a newer browser. If you live in Jersey and need help upgrading call the States of Jersey web team on 440099.

L'înformâtion et les sèrvices publyis pouor I'Île dé Jèrri

  • Choose the service you want to log in to:


    Update your notification preferences


    Access government and parish services


    Clear goods through customs or claim relief

  • Talentlink

    View or update your States of Jersey job application

Pet Travel Scheme (PETS)

Travelling with your pet after Brexit

If there is a 'no deal' Brexit, it may take 4 months for your pet cat, dog or ferret to become eligible for travel to the EU.

If there is 'no deal', you'll need to make sure your pet:

  • is microchipped
  • has passed a rabies blood test at least 30 days after rabies vaccination
  • has waited at least 3 months since the blood sample was taken before travel
  • has seen a vet for a health certificate no more than 10 days before travel date

Requirements for returning pets to Jersey after the UK leaves the EU will remain unchanged if there is a 'no deal' Brexit.

Speak to your vet as soon as possible if you're concerned you have not made the necessary requirements listed above and have plans to travel to the EU.

The UK Government advice for pet travel to Europe after Brexit has more information and applies to Jersey.

If you're travelling to the EU with animals other than pet cat, dogs or ferrets after Brexit, email the States Veterinary Officer or call +44 (0) 1534 441600.

About the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS)​

​​This scheme is for owners to take their pets travelling with them, or to relocate to Jersey from another member state. 

​Your pet must travel within five days of you (or another person who has written authorisation from you) being granted entry. ​If no one can travel with the pet, you must follow the different rules below. 

As the pet's owner, you must have your name and address entered in the 'Details of Ownership' section in any pet passports issued after 28 December 2014. Passports must be signed.

Also, if you buy or are given a pet in another country, you must go to that country to take ownership, or follow different rules.​

You must have a valid pet passport to travel to another EU country.

Different rules​

There are different rules if you are tra​velling to the Island with a dog, cat or ferret to sell or  rehome.

Pets will have to travel with a valid pet passport and an official health certificate. ​

Entry to Jersey from EU member states, territories or listed countries

For your pet to enter, you must be able to answer yes to all of the following: 

  • is your pet microchipped?
  • is your pet currently vaccinated against rabies?
  • at the time of rabies vaccination, was your pet at least 12 weeks old?
  • was your pet vaccinated after it was microchipped?
  • have you got an EU Pet Passport or an Official Veterinary Health Certificate (OVHC) from your vet certifying the above?
  • have 21 days passed since your pet was vaccinated?
  • has your dog been treated by a vet for tapeworm one to five days before its scheduled arrival?
  • is your pet travelling to Jersey with an approved carrier?

OVHCs are issued by non-EU countries only.

After the UK leaves the EU, the requirements for returning to Jersey will remain the same.

Entry to Jersey from unlisted countries

For your pet to enter, you must be able to answer yes to the following:

  • is your pet microchipped an is it currently vaccinated against rabies?
  • was your pet vaccinated after being microchipped?
  • at the time of rabies vaccination, was your pet at least 12 weeks old?
  • was a blood sample taken at least 30 days after your pet was vaccinated?
  • has your pet passed the blood test (your vet will tell you)?
  • have you got an EU Pet Passport* or Official Veterinary Health Certificate** from your vet certifying the above?
  • have 3 months passed since the date the blood sample was taken?
  • has your dog been treated by a vet for tapeworm 1 to 5 days before its scheduled arrival?
  • are you travelling into Jersey with your pet on an approved carrier?

If your pet's blood test was successful and it was issued with an EU Pet Passport before it left Jersey or another EU country, the 3 months waiting period before coming back to Jersey will not apply. All other rules still apply.

OVHCs are issued by non-EU countries only.

Listed and unlisted countries on the GOV.UK website

Pet passports and other documents

For a pet to travel in an EU member state, your vet will issue a pet passport.

If you're coming from outside the EU to Jersey or another EU country, you need:

  • a third-country official veterinary certificate if you don't have a valid EU pet passport
  • to fill in a declaration confirming that you are not going to sell or rehome your pet
  • original documents must travel with your pet

Tapeworm treatment (dogs only)

A vet must treat your dog for tapeworm and record it in the pet passport before entering Jersey.

You don't need to treat your dog for tapeworm if you're coming directly to Jersey from Finland, Ireland, Malta or Norway.

The treatment must have been given within 24 and 120 hours (five days) before you enter Jersey.

Travelling with more than five pets for a competition or show

You can't travel with more than five pets under the scheme unless you're attending or training for a competition, show or similar event. 

You need written evidence of registration for the event.

All your pets must:

  • be attending the event or training
  • be over six months old
  • meet the pet travel rules

You must fill in a declaration form confirming you aren't going to sell or rehome your pets and keep it when travelling.

Declaration form for pets att​ending or training for a competition, show or event

Travelling with assistance dogs

You can bring your assistance dog into Jersey if they have been trained by organisations who are members of:

  • Assistance Dogs International
  • International Guide Dog Federation

All assistance dogs must comply with the Pet Travel Scheme.

Dogs may travel with an approved carrier or any commercial carrier.

The person responsible for the dog must give the carrier at least 48 hours notice and the carrier must notify us at least 36 hours before arrival.

You must email or send a copy of the pet passport to us before you travel. 

The dog will be checked on arrival.

The Guide Dogs website has advice about taking assistance dogs abroad.

Guide Dogs website

Assistance Dogs International website

International Guide Dog Federation website

Approved transport companies

You can only use certain transport companies and travel routes to Jersey. 

You don't have to use an approved company if you're travelling from the Republic of Ireland.

You can't bring a pet into Jersey on a private boat or plane except if you're travelling from the Republic of Ireland.

Approved transport companies and routes

​​Microchip failures

If your pet's microchip fails and can't be read, your pet must be:

  • re-chipped
  • re-prepared in accordance with pet travel rules
  • have a new pet passport issued

You won't be able to travel with your pet until 21 days after the rabies vaccination.

This preparation must be carried out in the country the pet is in when the microchip fails.

Pets that fail the checks on arrival​

These pets will be refused entry into Jersey and you will be advised to contact a vet.

If your pet has already arrived in Jersey it may be held in quarantine until it meets requirements, or exported out of Jersey. 

All costs are ​at the owners' expense.

Ticks and other diseases​​

Pet owners travelling abroad with their pets should discuss disease prevention with their vet.

Dog breeds not allowed in Jersey​​

It's illegal to import certain breeds and types of dogs (dangerous dogs) to Jersey. 

These breeds and types are:

  • Pit Bull Terrier
  • Japanese Tosa (or Tosa)
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Fila Brazilero
  • any type of dog which appears to have been bred for fighting

Pet Travel Scheme leaflets in French, Polish and Portuguese​

You can find leaflets translated into French, Polish and Portuguese below. 

In these leaflets, approved non EU countries has the same meaning as unlisted countries. 

Non-approved countries has the same meaning as unlisted countries.

French translation

Polish translation

Portuguese translation

Back to top
rating button