About the scheme
The Productivity Support Scheme (PSS) provides grants to Jersey businesses to support individual business innovation, efficiency and productivity improvements, ensuring healthier and more sustainable businesses which are fit to meet the challenges of the future. The objective of the grant is to stimulate and kick-start the changes required in individual businesses to help them to become more innovative, efficient and productive.
Productivity is a measure of the outputs created compared to the inputs required. In Jersey this is most commonly defined as value added (total salaries and profits) per full-time equivalent employee.
The term used is generally Gross Value Added (GVA) per Full Time Equivalent (FTE).
The 2023 scheme is open and applications for funding can be made. Applications for 2023 funding will be accepted until 1 November 2023.
The scheme summary
The scheme will match-fund (on a 50/50 basis) projects with estimated total costs that are over £10,000 and under £100,000. Match funding will be a minimum of £5,000 and a maximum of £50,000.
Projects will improve 1 or more of:
- input costs
- process efficiency
- output and revenue
Project type will be 1 or more of:
- technology applications
- process improvement, for example equipment
- people performance, excluding skills development
- introducing new or improved products and services
- introducing new markets or increase market share
- develop or expand export market opportunities. This does not include attending trade shows or off-island business travel. The project must be able to demonstrate measurable improvement in productivity.
Who can apply
To qualify, businesses must:
- have been operating for at least 18 months
- be registered and controlled in Jersey
- hold a business licence under the Control of Housing and Work (Jersey) Law 2012
- if they have received government funding in the previous 3 years, for example via the Rural Initiative Scheme, they must demonstrate the applicant project is materially different
- not already be applying for or have received government funding (through a separate scheme) for productivity support for the same project.
The following entities and projects are not eligible to apply to the PSS:
- Government departments, States-Owned Entities, Arms-Length Organisations, charities and not for profit organisations
- Single person businesses
- exclusively skills development projects where Government support is already available
- redundancy costs
- projects entirely managed and provided by external consultants
- projects which have already received PSS grant funding following a successful application to the PSS in 2021 or 2022
How to apply
Read the PSS Guidance Notes 2023 and ensure you are eligible to apply
Jersey Business to express an interest in the scheme
- Work with Jersey Business to develop the application. Jersey Business will carry out a Business Health Check, a review of the project and will make a recommendation on the application to the Department for the Economy
- Jersey Business will submit the final application to Government on your behalf. They will include their recommendation on the application
- The Accountable Officerwill review your application and your Jersey Business advisor will let you know the outcome
Jersey Business will provide appropriate ongoing business support around productivity and business improvement if you're not eligible or recommended to apply.
If you do apply, your application will first be assessed for eligibility and completeness. You may be asked for additional information if required.
The decision of the Accountable Officer is final.
Applications will include:
- Application Form
- Declaration (for all applications)
- Board Resolution (for Limited Company applications only)
- Annual accounts and recent internal management accounts
- Project Plan (Gantt chart with costs or similar)
- GVA per FTE table (Jersey Business can provide)
- Bank details on letter-headed paper
Assessment of applications
Applications will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Project Plan and Management
- Project Justification
- Project Measurables
- GVA per FTE
Further information is available in the PSS Guidance Notes 2023