Apply to receive a bonus
Before you apply, check below if you can claim the
Community Costs Bonus or Cold Weather Bonus.
Apply for the Community Costs Bonus and Cold Weather Bonus 2022
Community Costs Bonus
The Community Costs Bonus is an annual payment to help households that are just above the Income Support level with the cost of GST on food. This used to be called the Food Cost Bonus.
The Community Cost Bonus for 2022 is £516.50.
Who can claim the Community Cost Bonus
A household can claim the bonus when all of the following apply:
- at least 1 adult member has been resident in Jersey for the last 5 years
- the household had a combined tax liability of less
than £2735.00 for 2021
- no member of the household, during the 7 days before the application is made, has been in receipt of Income Support (but a household may still claim if they received an Income Support payment which was a transitional payment or Income Support Special Payment)
Cold Weather Bonus
The Cold Weather Bonus is designed to help pensioner households, who did not have a Tax liability for 2021, with the cost of heating during the winter months.
Only 1 Cold Weather Bonus can be claimed per household.
The Cold Weather Bonus is paid in 2 instalments:
- in January, for the months of October to December
- in April, for the months of January to March
Who can claim Cold Weather Bonus
To claim the Cold Weather Bonus, you must be eligible for the Community Costs Bonus. In addition there are 3 more requirements to receive the Cold Weather Bonus:
- on the first day of the cold weather month, your household must include an adult who is 65 or over and have reached pensionable age in Jersey and is either receiving a Jersey old age pension or has 10 years' continuous residency before making the application
- you or your spouse or partner must either own your home or be responsible for a lease (people paying for board or lodgings only won't qualify for the bonus)
- no adult in the household should have received a cold weather payment from Income Support for the cold weather month
If you meet these conditions for only some of the months covered by the bonus, you'll be able to claim a lower amount based on the months that you're eligible for.
Cost of Living Temporary Scheme
As a result of rising inflationary pressures on Islanders, the Minister for Social Security has decided to implement a temporary scheme called the Cost of Living Temporary Scheme (COLTS). COLTS will support over 11,000 people in Jersey who receive means-tested benefits.
If you receive any of the following support or benefits, you’ll receive an additional payment of £20 for each member of your household each month from April to December 2022:
- Income Support
- Pension Plus Scheme (PPS)
You don’t need to apply for COLTS. Payments will be sent automatically. If you're claiming any of the benefits linked to the scheme in a given month, you'll be eligible for the payment.
Who is included in a household
A household is defined in the same way as it is for Income Support purposes. A household can be any of the following: