Social, Emotional and Mental Health Inclusion Team
The team works with primary and secondary schools across the island to provide advice, guidance and support on managing challenging behaviour. Wherever possible, the team aims to intervene early to prevent difficulties from escalating.
The team can provide support in a number of ways. The following are examples of approaches the team might use in working with your child:
- observations in school (in the classroom or playground) to support school staff in their management of behaviour
- working with school staff and pupils to agree and set behaviour targets
- assessments to identify child’s strengths and difficulties and inform individual plans
- supporting schools to write and implement positive behaviour support plans
- support with transitions (eg a change of class or change of school)
- small group work to develop specific skills (e.g. friendships)
- 1:1 work to provide an individualised programme of support (e.g. managing emotions developing emotional literacy)
- support school’s on how to set up and run a nurture group
How to access this service
If you have any concerns about how your child is getting on in school you can contact your Class Teacher or Special Educational Needs Co-coordinator. They will be able to contact SEMHIT for a discussion to talk though any concerns.
Alternatively, you can also contact the team directly on their consultation line +44 (0) 1534 449418, open daily, 9am to 3pm.
You can also contact the Children and Families Hub.